Trump

Enjoy your house. You can learn a lot from it.

1 Like

What did you mean by this? Just in time for what?

Thanks. Yes. For sure.

The neighbors behind me seem like live off the grid hippies. They also leave their kitchen light on 24-7. They have a dog home alone a lot. I wonder if that is why. It’s odd that they are poor and don’t mind leaving the light on all day.

Housing materials are going to go up. Contractors that pay attention are not happy with these tariffs.

Ah ok, yes, good point. You might have saved tens of thousands.

Yes. Apparently lumber has gone up big time, but sheet metal should skyrocket now. Interesting.

The US is unable to meet its own softwood lumber needs so it has purchased that lumber (used for framing houses as I’m sure you know) from Canada for decades. If Trump does what he’s threatening to do, the new tariffs will price our softwood much higher than US softwood, thereby raising prices across the board. Builders will be forced to buy it because the US industry can’t supply US needs and, even if it tried to grow, it takes 30 years to grow capacity in the softwood industry.

tl;dr: Housing prices, renovation prices, and home-expansion prices are going to go up there.

Edited to add: Trump is a fat idiot.

You never did framing with metal studs?

You can even melt down that plastic garbage patch for studs.

You can use metal studs but they are much more costly than wood, and are much harder to work with. In Canada (and I assume the US), you need to use metal studs in concrete construction.

No actually they are not.

I’m not talking about rebar.

Wood should cost more.

But metal studs are still cheaper. Can you buy any 30 wood studs anywhere without at least 6 of them not perfectly straight, without a knot, or without a splintering crack? What can you do with those anyway? Make particle board or mulch? You certainly can’t recycle them.

Metal studs are cheaper without any of those factors and it is easy to carry 10 at a time.

Maybe Trump is sending Canada a message. Don’t pimp your lumber because it hurts your mascots.

Create studs from plastic waste composites. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I want to thank the Orange Idiot on behalf of both Canada and Colombia for stupidly engaging in a trade war with China which will result in natural gas from both these countries undercutting US natural gas substantially.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/19/news/companies/china-lng-tariffs-trade-war/index.html

Say it with me: $500,000,000,000.00 trade deficit.

Yes! And so in addressing this huge trade deficit, the Orange Idiot has picked fights with Canada where the trade balance is equal. lol. I totally support this idiocy. I expect it to benefit Canada bigly.