Travels

We do have a free place to stay and don’t need cars. I’ll be happy if the trip is $6000.

Maybe I’ll meet Magnus. If I asked him if he likes chess, I wonder what he’d say. He might not be able to define “like.” Or put a view or attitude into words.

Epic fail.

My August-September trip is shaping up to be busier than I usually like. So far it is Vancouver, Bogotá, Paipa, Bucaramanga, Cartagena, Baranquilla, Santa Marta, Toronto, Vancouver. That doesn’t include stopovers. The only part of the trip I’m looking forward to is Cartagena and maybe Santa Marta. The rest is just getting stuff done that needs to get done. I haven’t been to Colombia since last September.

1 Like

You should relax and take 6 months off.

I was supposed to fly to Florida last night and get in at 812 pm. The flight was delayed over 7 hours and arrived at 324 am. So we cancelled and got a full refund. I was flying back sunday at 1 pm, so woule have had about 30 hours not counting sleep.

1 Like

Good they refunded you. Was it just a vacation? Short one if so.

Yes. Sister in law down there had baby

1 Like

Have you ever used amtrak?

I haven’t but I always wanted to. When I was with Cori, she used to come to Vancouver via Amtrak. Trains across Canada are absurdly expensive. $6000 for a trip that costs $100 by air.

Wow. That’s crazy. It’s a little under $500 round trip to ft Lauderdale. 30 hours each way. I guess the food has improved. Flying during February or April vacation is about $1000 round trip. Driving is probably the worst method. 2 hotels, gas, 3 days. It’s also by far the most dangerous.

There is a train in the works to go overnight from boston to montreal. It takes 14 hours and has many nice stops, although they would be in the middle of the night and you’d just get back on again.

1 Like

There have been more than a thousand derailments in the past year. After all that has been reported why would anyone want to get on a train.

Safer than driving.

More convenient in certain ways. Less so in others

Cheaper in certain ways. More expensive in others.

In general, it’s cheaper and safer. It takes longer. That’s the worst part. This would also be a new train, so hopefully more comfortable than most. It’s also more convenient than flying. The buses and trains in Norway were terrific.

1 Like

Why would you want to go faster? If there is a derailment there is no chance for survival.

Michele with that attitude you can’t travel anywhere.

Reg, with that attitude, I can’t travel anywhere quickly.

I wasn’t really talking about the average speed. This train goes up the east coast of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and part of Maine before heading northwest through New Hampshire and Vermont before hitting Canada and probably has 10 stops. If it’s new, it’s average speed might be decent. It’s just indirect, but nice option with no car.

It sounds like a nice ride. I’m sure there’s a nice scenic view to take in as you go. I don’t mean to be so negative Nancy about taking the train but you have to admit, there has been an excessive amount of derailments in the news lately.