The bible and private posessions

Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”
Mark 5:36

Going to bed now. Thanks for the spiritual conversation!

Daniel…

I’m sorry. I hope my bedside manner improves.

I have been confused by a bible quote
Mt 27:57 (“Jesus Buried in Joseph’s Tomb”)

Now when evening had come, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who himself had also become a disciple of Jesus

• aren’t You supposed to hand out your wealth to the community before joining the discipleship of Jesus?!?!

Mt 6:19 “don’t gather worldly posessions”
Mt 19:21 “first sell and hand out THEN come, follow me”
Mt 13:44 “sell everything to buy the acre with the hidden treasure”
Mt 13:46 “sell everything to buy the pearl of great price”

How come a rich person joining the community of disciples…and stays rich himself??

the real mystery is how you manage to dress yourself
assuming your fat mother has no part in that activity

What the hell are You blathering about? It is about the question of whether you are allowed to keep private posessions as a follower and strict disciple of Christ or not, or somehow, or in certain conditions. IMHO a game changing question.

and i turned it into a question about your fitness to ask questions
cuz yers is a waste of time
and mine is pertinent

It isn’t. There are billions of people out there proclaiming to be Christians, followers of Christ or likewise. If getting rid of private possessions as described in Acts 2 is mandatory, we have a problem. It could easily have led to the destruction of the early church. We need German accuracy and strictness on questions like that - no rambling or beating around the bush!

OK - a poll then

Are followers of Christ obliged to hand out private possessions at group entrance?
  • Only within the first church as of Acts
  • Only within the first church and under persecution
  • Yes, obey orders!
  • Yes, but over time. One after the other. It’s a process
  • Only gullible and lower strata are required to. Upper echelon and leaders not so much (because otherwise only poor would join, dumbass!)
  • Maybe, maybe not?
  • No, talents and wealth aren’t equally distributed because those who know to manage em will be given more!
  • No, this has been replaced by tithing (10% of income) as some Brit’Ish Israelite congregations say

0 voters

I am thankful for the first voter, (and for the others, too) but I honestly would be interested in the bible section from where one can draw that 10% tithing replaced all of Jeshua’s demand for stripping down private possessions.

If you’re going to go down this path of communal living with no possessions, I suggest the Hare Krishnas. It’s far more healthy, the music is better, you would lose some weight and get healthy.

Here are some Hare Krishnas I saw in Medellín a few months ago.

1 Like

I am very sad about the “only gullible and lower strata” vote because this would be such a worldly thing to do. Like “do what you’ve been told or be cast out” to some and “hey, no problem, we can negotiate” to others

I will answer you. First I approached this question as a good Christian would. I considered what the Bible says, then I considered my own desires, and then I ignored what the Bible says and I just asserted what I wanted as God’s will, as most Christians do for everything.

So you voted twice, each time with different mind-set?

No, I voted once. If you want to see who voted, you have to tick “show votes” when you create the poll.

I do take very kindly to hare krishnas! Sadly enough my experience has been curtailed by a certain worldly hysteria

1 Like

I am just curious about this guy “rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph”.
In what regard did he follow Jeshuah and the disciples.
As far as I understand, he has been in a process because of the facts:

• He still had been wealthy at the point of Jeshua’s death
  • At the same time he provided for the needy in the community - In this case Jeshua in the need of a grave
    –> Giving to the needy in the community might be to be considered a process that can be managed on an individual basis, at least in the aspect of time

Hare krishnas seem to have a lot of skinheads in their group, just as a notion that made me chuckle

Now when it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had also become a disciple of Yeshua. This man went to Pilate and asked for Yeshua’s body. Then Pilate ordered it to be given up. And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth. And he laid it in his own new tomb, which he had cut in the rock. Then he rolled a large stone up to the door of the tomb and went away.
Matthew 27:57-60

Now evening had already come. Since it was the Day of Preparation, that is, the day before Shabbat, Joseph of Arimathea, a respected council member who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Yeshua’s body.
Pilate was surprised that He was already dead. Summoning the centurion, he asked him whether Yeshua had been dead for long. When Pilate learned this from the centurion, he granted the body to Joseph. Joseph bought a linen cloth, took Him down, wrapped Him in the linen, and laid Him in a tomb that had been cut out of the rock. Then he rolled a stone against the door of the tomb. Miriam from Magdala and Miriam the mother of Joses were watching where Yeshua’s body was placed.
Mark 15: 42

His grave was given with the wicked, and by a rich man in His death, though He had done no violence, nor was there any deceit in His mouth.
Isaiah 53: 9

Prophesy fulfilled.