News Priorities

on your next visit bring your own mayonnaise jar with you and report back :wink:

I mean if its that important to you you can, but I wouldn’t want to do it on a date or a social gathering because it would make me look either cheap, or poor, or finnicky. Actually, it isn’t worth $3 to me to have to prepare a container and have to remember it and carry it, pull it out in front of everyone, put it away, then take it home and have to wash a container for the meal you paid for such service. Kind of defeats the purpose of going out.

I don’t eat out much because I can cook a lot better quality food for less and I know exactly the way I like it. For instance, I only eat real pure maple syrup and I don’t care for Aunt Jemima (didn’t the libs insist that name get changed, maybe only the picture?) as it not even really maple syrup, it is corn syrup with artificial color and flavoring - and even preservatives I believe. Yuck.

Also, you don’t go go to pancake restaurant and bring your own eggs to save money and if they charge $3 for syrup then it is part of their normal income seating a person.

That said, as much as I don’t care for cheap artificial syrup if that’s what a restaurant serves I figure one meal isn’t going to hurt me and I’d rather just eat it than a make a scene of carrying my own.

It looks like this case might be a little different. I think it is generally rude to bring food to a restaurant.

No wonder it’s $3.

I heard the truckers moving to Oklahoma stole all the syrup and are drinking it in front of the quebec police.

you are a doofus
your icon even looks doofy

first they supplied you the ingredients for atomic bombs and now syrup and worst of all they let justin bieber sell donuts lol … evil creatures those canadians!

2 Likes

I agree. Too sweet.

As long as you leave a big tip for the waitress, I doubt they care.

You can’t be asking permission in advance. What if they tell you no?

Aunt Jemima is cheaper.

My hubby is funny like this, too. I rarely, if ever, eat pancakes or waffles. They are heavy and make me sick to my stomach but if I did, I wouldn’t care what syrup I poured over them as long as it’s hot.

Absolutely not. If you don’t like what’s being served, you should stay home and eat what you’re served there.

I think we are going to ihop tomorrow. I’ll buy the syrup since I never go.

I guess this is like adding your own jack nip to a coke you order on a plane. I see that often, and I think it is fine since flying is expensive, the drinks are probably overpriced and I don’t consider the plane to be a bar.

It’s not like you’re saving money this way. The restaurant will provide syrup for free if you want it. You just prefer your own. It’s very different from trying to save money.

I often carry a tiny little Splenda dispenser because I prefer it to other artificial sweeteners. I could use their sweetener for free, but I prefer my own so I use it. No harm done.

If I went to Dennys every week, I would spend possibly $150 on syrup. I wouldn’t buy my own for free at home for $0, but I think it would save maybe $100. Probably not worth it. I I liked a place to eat there 50 times a year, they can have the $100.

Whether you bring your own or not, you will still pay for it.

That’s the equivalent of bringing another persons set of teeth to a restaurant to chew the food.

Airplanes are for flying. Taking your own syrup into a restaurant is equivalent to bringing your own pilot on an airplane that belongs to someone else. If you don’t trust the pilot, why are you even flying on their airplane? If you don’t like the food, why are you eating there?

lol getting it from home does not make it free.

I guess I didn’t explain that. I meant to say it doesn’t cost $0 to buy it in the grocery store.

People eat at restaurants for many reasons other than the food. If my radio club didn’t meet there, I would almost never go to Denny’s. I go to the coffee shop downstairs many times a year even though I prefer my own coffee generally, because it’s convenient to meet clients there. I go to a horrible Colombian restaurant nearby occasionally even though I hate the food because it reminds Isa of home. Etc. etc. etc.

If a pancake house serves cheap syrup their pancake ingredients are probably junk as well. There are some pretty good recipes for pancakes that are quite healthy for you but you’d never get that in a restaurant.

Occasionally I like to eat some Bisquick pancakes because that’s what mom made growing up but prefer mixing up my own healthier ingredients.

The subject is food in this debate.

Do you take your own coffee with you into the coffee shop or do you purchase coffee from the shop when you go there to meet clients?

That’s interesting because when you were in Columbia all anyone ever heard about the food was how good and healthy it was unlike food in the west, which I don’t disagree with. They are slow-poison-ing us here in low doses.

That’s because people don’t pay for healthy food. People pay for food that tastes good.

If you eat that healthy you should post it and educate the rest of us. Mark created a nutrition/health food thread. It hasn’t been used much since he left. Maybe you can revive it.

No it’s not, it is etiquette. Specifically, the etiquette of bringing your own syrup to a restaurant that already provides syrup.

I drink their coffee, but I bring my own sweetener as I prefer it. I do not care at all if that offends your gentle Oklahoman sensibilities.

Michele, you misunderstood me. See below.

Fruits and vegetables are very fresh and cheap in Colombia, which is nice. If you make your own food, as I did, it can be excellent. The Colombians are generally not very good cooks, though.

excellent idea… more sausage pics!

and the chinks are about face

That’s fair. Food/etiquette, which has nothing to do with the many reasons you might go to a restaurant.

But you don’t like their coffee so why do you respectfully drink their coffee that you dislike but bring your own sweetener?

Reg, your flesh deceives you in such a terrible way that I can easily consider that a lie from Hell but even if it is true, I care enough for both of us so if your own sensibilities are that useless you probably don’t need them anyway.

Michele, this is like talking to a wall. You said the reason to go to a restaurant was the food, and I said no, there are many reasons you might go to a restaurant.

Michele, this is like talking to a wall. I drink their coffee because I do little business meetings there.