Chess

GMs are brutally honest. Lol.

Hikaru is in 2nd. Thereā€™s no way heā€™s letting him play for the championship, lol.

looks like they had great fun in that park in madrid; quite a lot of chess players there

even ā€œsome girlā€ absolutely destroying magnus :wink:

Iā€™m playing live chess tonight for the first time in 2 months.

I won 2, lost 2, and drew one. If winning was the only point, it would have been a waste of time.

Magnus has decided not to defend. Too bad for nakamura. Congrats to Ding, who had an awful start to the candidates.

I respect Magnus for sticking to his word and hopefully FIDE will change the format after nobody pays attention. Maybe some will in China.

1 Like

interestingā€¦ i wonder if we will go back to the ā€œkasparov timesā€ where we had 2 chess world championship tournaments

pehaps we can have 1 tournament where magnus will play against his shadow and the other tournament for the rest of the bunch lol

2 Likes

Happy international chess day! Funny that magnus announced now, lol.

Here it is out of his own mouth, starting at the 51 minute mark.

Video: https://vimeo.com/731653807

Iā€™m winning about 80% of the time. I might go back to my club where I won 0% of the time and drew about a third of the time. Iā€™ll probably get sick of losing after 3 months and go back to my current club, where Iā€™ll win 90% of the time.

Iā€™m surprised youā€™re still into it. I like playing chess the way I like riding a bicycle. Itā€™s almost totally non-competitive to me now. I mean, itā€™s obviously somewhat competitive since Iā€™m trying to win, but I am so far behind what a computer is able to do that I canā€™t get motivated to improve.

I do it only to stimulste my brain and the social aspect. The high quality club is 5 minutes away. As opposed to 20 minutes lol.

It can be discouraging to lose all the time. Itā€™s why I donā€™t play my phone at a higher level. I have found the level where I can win about half the games and I enjoy that. I donā€™t want to win all the games or lose all the games.

1 Like

Pragga looks like an avatar. I still hope he wins the WCC but itā€™s not looking promising yet.

Magnus won. Heā€™s still playing. Heā€™s still the best. Will anyone watch the WCC without him? I wonā€™t. I donā€™t care at all who wins it. Itā€™s a farce to call it a world championship without him.

I wonā€™t either.

Unless an Indian or American is in it.

Russia and China, lol. The 2 most unlikable countries. Not that either is a bad person. I just donā€™t have anyone to root for. Sometimes, that is nice and you can just enjoy the chess.

I think Ding will win.

1 Like

lol chess drama

magnus got beat and now he walked out of the tournament and hints his opponent cheated

I wonder if Magnus is entering a tailspin. First he bails on the WCC and now he loses and leaves the tourney in a huff. It could be a blip, but it could also be the beginning of the end.

His opponent is an asshole. Went to a charity event and it was $10. I guess he didnā€™t think he should have to pay $10, because heā€™s a GM. So, they said ok, you can play for $5. He said no.

What a prima.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know any of that. Sounds like a twit. Is this the guy Mangus lost to or the guy he forfeited to?