Chess

Order of best to worst went… 42, 34, 28, 72, 72, 72, 23, 77.

1 Like

Youth does tend to win in contests.

Interesting 30 year gap between 42 and 72.

1 Like

Lol. Wow. I haven’t made a move this bad in a while. This guy might be top 10 all time, lol. Probably the best player to not be world champion to this point.

1 Like

The best part of the video is Anish Giri with a wtf look, taking the rook, not saying a word and getting up and walking away. Caruana hadn’t even resigned and played another move.

1 Like

That was fun. I like watching great players blunder somehow. lol.

1 Like

Wow. Giri won again against a guy that refused to wear a mask. That’s 2 blunders in a row he has benefited from. He started 2/5 and is now 4/7.

ah i see… thats why he was asked to wear a mask from now on while he didnt have to wear one the previous game:

Daniil Dubov will not be playing the 7th round of the Tata Steel Chess Tournament today. Due to a COVID-19 contamination in his inner circle, the tournament organisation (after consultation with the chief arbiter) has asked Dubov to play wearing a face mask, in order to protect his opponent, Anish Giri. Dubov did not show for his match, which means that he has lost his game by forfeit. Dubov has indicated that he refuses to play wearing a face mask as a matter of principle. Dubov himself tested negative in a quick scan test. He has also undergone a PCR-test, of which the result is likely to come in this evening.

They should have asked Giri to wear a mask to even it out. I guess it never got to that point.

he was wearing one while waiting for dubov lol

Lol. What a picture. It looks like you designed this puzzle…

lol naww that one is too easy/obvious… even reg can solve that! :wink:

I’m now 43-3-2 in the chess club. I might play the above tournament. It would be like 10 hours total so not sure yet. I did get the day off. If it goes poorly, more excuses to stop as spring is coming.

1 Like

My guess is masks won’t be required.

Have to be a uscf member which is $45 for the year, a Massachusetts chess federation member which is $12, and the tournament is $29 and I have to bring a clock and set. I’m in the easiest section because I have no rating, so I might crush everyone. I think the organizer thinks I suck since I have no rating.

I’ll probably get crushed by some 10 year old Indian kid. Or even worse. A Russian.

Hmm. Would be an interesting experience.

I am more of a social player.

lol good luck and have fun!
will be interesting to hear how easy/tough you think the “easiest section” was :wink:

i think there are plenty of decent players around these days with chess sites like chess.com and lichess.org etc that actually do a pretty good job teaching and improving those that want to get better at chess

1 Like

I agree. I don’t really care if I win. I wonder if a tournament will change that. Or if I’ll like it less.

Well. I was definitely in the :white_check_mark: group. I went 2/4. Won both games with black lol. You can do the math for white.

The first game, I lost to a guy my age from :india:. Very good game. We both played wellish. I made one bad move, pinning his pawn from taking my queen after I took a rook. Unfortunately, that caused a knight royal fork and my queen was gone. The worst part was he never saw that he couldn’t take with his pawn. I would have won if I was allowed to take his king.

The second game, I beat a 7 year old Asian boy. He was decent. I had a 3 pawn lead and just forced trades. Won easily.

The third game I lost to an 11 year old Russian boy. He was friendly. His English was not very good. The kid before made 48 moves in less than 15 minutes. This kid took his time and was flawless. The kids are good. They just haven’t bulit their ratings up yet.

I won the 4th game against a 10 year old Asian boy. He had a good start. Well ahead but thinki would have given him an eyeroll protecting a rook with a knight. He lost a knight and didn’t recover.

The first guy I lost to made the finals and lost to a 7 year old asian girl, who won the group. She was so short. She had to stand to reach across the board.

Had work calling me all day with problems so it totally ruined the tournament for me.

3 Likes

thanks for the report and nice to hear these youngsters are doing well
shame you didnt manage to enjoy it fully with work pestering you
perhaps next time? :wink:

1 Like