Cars

I used to love Mercedes. Honestly it’s just doing nothing for me lately.

Hyundai is kicking ass.

1 Like

Not really. The Elantra rated highest for reliability. Thats fine. My Sonata offers an abundance of bells and whistles that I use often and I enjoy driving it.

I meant their electric car innovation, Michele. Putting the reduction drive inside each wheel is a remarkable idea and it could be a game changer for them.

The most important electric car companies in the world are CATL and BYD, not Tesla. Tesla is entirely dependent on CATL for its survival. China already owns the electric car industry and it’s going to become more and more lopsided as time progresses.

I should note that this doesn’t mean these two companies are going to do well in the long term. They’re just the ones doing much of the innovating. While Tesla releases monstrosities like the Cybertruck, CATL is trying to revolutionize the platform business.

Sure and the risk of breakdown will multiply by 3, which is great for the kind of business I’m in.

Lopsided? Didn’t the commentator say they were going to reach out to potential investors?

Huawei is in the game.

Useful.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/germany-end-e-vehicle-subsidy-programme-2023-12-16/

Looks like the EV push is over for a bit.

Looks like the chevy bolt ev and euv, which stopped production on 12-20-23, qualify for immediate 7500 rebate. That would make a new 2023 bolt ev about 20000.

I think the immediate rebate is odd. To me, it is not really a government rebate anymore. I assume you’d no longer have to pay 7500 in federal tax dollars.

I haven’t paid much attention to US rebates but that is hugely appealing. $20k for a Bolt which is well regarded is not foolish.

In Canada we get about $8k back on EVs under $65k (if you make under $100k) and $3000 if you are over. The ones I am looking at are just slightly above that but I wonder if they may not drop under $65k by summer.

1 Like

Geely, who owns Volvo just came out with a $25000 USD EV that has 550 km of range. It looks like China won that one.

They’ve had a bad year. Obesity, low morale, worsening economy, genocide. They won the ev race to this point by quite a margin.

1 Like

I would buy that thing right now if I could.

Our car is in the shop and we rented a Hyundai Venue until the repair is done. Isa likes it. She suggested we get one because it’s really short and we could fit two electric bikes behind it in our parking stall. That would leave us six bikes. Two in the bike room, two behind the car and two at the office, not to mention the two e-scooters at the office as well. It’s a bit silly but we both prefer bicycles to cars.

I looked around and I think the Venue is the shortest SUV I can buy by over a foot. It’s not at all an interesting car to me. I’d MUCH prefer something more stylish. We’ll see.

Wow. It must be shorter than the kona, which looks short. The 2024 kona is 9 inches longer than the 2023. At that point, it’s pretty much a tucson.

My santa fe hit 193,000 miles. It’s been pretty cheap. Brakes don’t seem to last more than 2 years, but not bad. Maybe end of 2024, I’ll get something. It will be interesting to see if the election affects anything with cars here. My guess is the GOP wants to get rid of things like public transportation. It makes it possible for poor people to vote. Or live.

Yes, it’s a foot shorter than the 2024 Kona. Strangely it doesn’t look that ugly or weird. It’s not like a Smart car at all. Still, it’s not at all stylish. I’m not sure if I care anymore. I used to care. Right now, I’m less sure.

The back seats must be very short, but neither of us would care about that.

Just got the car back from the shop. $5000. Irritating. I hope it lasts another year. If I face another multi-thousand dollar bill in the next year, I will probably just get a new one.

Well, this is a bit chilling (no pun intended). I’m not sure we have this whole charging thing sorted.