Cars

This was in my news feed this morning. A unique character…….well…I thought he was and I don’t care what you think lol.

Excellent clip, Dan. You get points for tying it to my brilliant wacky cars maker post. You lose points for the violent ending. Keep trying. You’ll work it out, eventually.

Ford reached a tentative deal. They are the least nasty of the big 3, although I don’t consider Jeep/Dodge/Crysler/Ram to be American. Ford didn’t accept the bailout in 2009.

The cost of their F150 is ridiculous. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go out of business. I don’t see how they can expect someone to pay $80000 on a pickup truck.

I have heard sales of the F150 Lightning have tanked. I don’t know if that’s true, but that’s what some car Youtubers are saying.

1 Like

Yes. I have heard that as well.

Electric cars are overrated. I’m happy that Ford doesn’t see the numbers they previously hoped for and are returning to combustion engines. It’s not about the numbers. It’s the quality of build and Ford failed in building a good electric vehicle. They won’t run in cold weather and there is a fire hazard attached to the battery not to mention that they are bad for the climate. There is no shame in that. They just needed to learn this lesson the hard way.

I’m not against electric cars. I’m against buying a car that will tank in value in 3 years. That’s a lot of electric cars.

Tesla is starting up the cybertruck, which seems overdue by 2 years. It is hideous and impractical.

You must not be against over inflation of cars.

The problem we have is that most people think gas cars will tank in value at some unknown tipping point where electric cars become the “normal” car and instead of saying “electric car” to specify something unusual, we say “gas car” to specify when car is powered by gas. Sort of like how we no longer say “digital camera”, we just say “camera”, and if you want to refer to a non-digital camera, you say “film camera” now.

I also think gas cars will tank in value but at least they are cheaper.

I am definitely against it. Why do you think I have kept my car with 190000 miles.

So am I.

I don’t know…because your car is so well built and you’re so cheap?

It’s not just Ford.

1 Like
1 Like

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/

Yearly report.

No surprises. The Germans sucked again.

Except for BMW. They must have improved a little.

VW, Mercedes and Chrysler are all at the bottom. VW has been sucking lately. The dealer called me up the other day and said, “Hey, we have ID.4s. Do you want one?”

Me: “I thought there was a 2 year waiting list.”
Dealer: “Yeah but nobody on the list is buying. Do you want one?”
Me: “How much?”
Dealer: “Seventy three thousand.”
Me: “No thanks. Bye.”

I’m surprised Chrysler did so badly with Alfa Romeo topping JD Power this year.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/30/business/alfa-romeo-stellantis-quality-jd-power-win/index.html

EDIT: I just read the CNN article in full. lol.

Not every Stellantis brand ranked near the top, though, or even close. Chrysler improved from dead last in 2022 to second to last among auto brands with sufficient survey data for an official score.

1 Like

Right. :us: did bad too, although I don’t consider Crysler to be American.

Tesla is top rated usa lol.

And the Koreans are average once again. I think bmw owns mini, so good for them.

The worst to me is Mercedes benz. The others at the bottom should have cheaper repairs. It must be their electronics.