Vaccines

somebody just worked some maple in new england
when should i worry?

i could click on the images of tracy kidder’s books i have read
the one i got today is truckful of money
i will post my review on twitter for smart people

How is it that you have read so many books and yet no one replies to your posts, except me. I reply because I’m nice that way. :grimacing: Does your intellect intimidate others?

You already know the answer to why nobody replies, Michele. And don’t confuse the number of books one has read with intelligence or even knowledge. Most of us know idiots who have read a lot of books. Bill is a good example of someone who claims to have read a lot of books but can’t put together a coherent series of sentences or compose an original thought, and whose knowledge is almost entirely limited to US matters.

Learning is good. Books are an old-fashioned and inefficient way to learn. I say this as a person who has read most great works of literature. Some helped form who I am as a person, and many others were a total waste of time. Non-fiction is often based on premises that are completely false, and given the nature of the medium, one doesn’t get to refute the fallacy until the book has been read. I doubt future generations will read “books” much. They will likely be much smarter than we are, though.

Actually, unlike the rest of you, I don’t know.

I know a few.

That’s not completely true. He seems to know a lot about Germany and Hitler.

Who are you, as a person.

I think that would be an interesting debate. One I’ve never seen or read here.

I’m assuming you’re referring to knowledge increasing because of the internet.

Perhaps a lot about the fiction that has been written by the victors. Sort of like knowing about Vietnam (a wonderful nation with a rich culture and history) by reading about the war.

I don’t think that can be answered in a few words, but you read enough about me here to generally know who I am. I’m an unremarkable middle aged man who has achieved comfort but not importance. Unlike most, I really enjoy my life and hope to do a few more interesting things before I die, at which point I will be forgotten (as will everyone else).

Yes, although the internet will need to be surpassed soon by something (more) unregulatable.

By that statement, our history books may need to be rewritten.

I agree. You gave a few words but you didn’t really share anything about what kind of person you are beyond being middle-aged, which everyone here already knows.

Such as?

Rewritten to what? History is already being rewritten daily, now. Any effort to rewrite the old fiction would just result in new fiction, likely in which large parts of the confederate armies were gay and female, most former presidents were black, and George Washington was actually a trans man who was born female.

Hell if I know. Perhaps something blockchain based. Perhaps something more anonymous. We have gone from the total wild west of the Internet in the 90s to this Orwellian thought-police state we live in now. There is a giant void out there that needs to be filled, in which people can say what they think without losing their jobs and their fortunes. Perhaps it might be the Metaverse. Or metaverses. Or something else. Whatever it is, I believe it will likely emerge in 10 years or less.

Something non-fiction.

That has never been an option in human history.

It will be in the future.

On this we agree.

1 Like

america didn’t drop bombs on japan
america didn’t make a dif in WWI
we just get to say we did

that kind of thinking was inspired by great literature
maybe descarte or kant
people who didn’t know chemistry
or germs
or galaxies

reggie calls for a show of hands
then he goes on at great length about how to show your hand
and which hand to show
great literature?
glad you liked it, punk

great literature forms a teenage girl?
what great literature made you a punk?

think again
the world ends on june 21, 2023
the giant void is only in your head

did you really type that?
i would like to learn what lit you read that is great
i would like to know what lit you read that is not so great
it is a giant void out there, yearning to be filled
pompous asshole
learning is good
banal pompous asshole
see how great literature makes you think like a banal pompous asshole
gee
what’s that light at the end of gatsby’s dock?

whereas not reading about the war makes you know so much more
did you read about ho chi minh at the paris peace conference in 1919?
he was there
he was about as important as the canadian PM
although certainly more dignified than the whining canuck

i believe i mentioned the white shoes
that’s ho under the french guy’s hat