Travels

I have never experienced heat like this in Canada. I have experienced it in Southeast Asia. It is uncomfortable. I’m getting nothing done. I think I’ll need to bite the bullet and pay for AC. Very few residential buildings in Vancouver have AC because it just wasn’t needed. It never used to get too hot here. Now we’re getting several weeks of too-hot every year, and I imagine that’s just going to get worse. I hope I can find a contractor who isn’t run off his feet.

I was very lucky to get central ac put in for 2000 dollars. It was added to the house mortgage, so over 20 years it is 2000/240 or a little more than 8 dollars a month. Well worth it and probably helps the value. I’m surprised it wasn’t standard on a new build. It is 37C here and humid. Nothing like what you are experiencing. If it goes up another 10F, it will be quite dangerous. My cats have no idea how lucky they are. I will probably live off smoothies for a few days. I feel very lucky to be working in an air conditioned lab. Might mow the lawn later. It’s not really going to cool off til Friday. Might be time for some ice cream. What is your favorite flavor? Mine are gingersnap mollases, pumpkin, and cookie dough. My least favorite are raisin rum, frozen pudding, anything mint, but raisin rum is the only one that is inedible for me.

Year round A/C here.
Butter Pecan

1 Like

I’m glad we don’t have to see Mark’s ice cream pictures. Hopefully, he has AC. I couldn’t imagine dealing with this heat with an extra 150 lbs of fat and no air conditioning. Awful.

2 Likes

Even more. He is about 5’5" if I recall. I would say his optimum weight is about 150 lb. He is 320 lb so he has more than 100% body weight in extra fat. He is early 40s. His body should start failing any time now.

1 Like

One option I’m toying with is portable AC units. If I buy three of these for $600 USD each, I should be able to totally cool my entire apartment. The venting would be ugly but I would only use it for a few weeks a year. I could store the units and the ducting in the store-room in winter. This is definitely an option worth considering.

This is what the ducting looks like. Not that bad, actually, especially as it would only be visible on days over 30C.

I thought Mark said he was 5’7". Maybe 316 lbs, but that probably went up and down. His height was probably all over the place, too.

Those units work well and are mobile, so you can move it once they finish your condo. Will they finish the kitchen before you move back in?

No. I’m considering what to do about that. I might just rent this condo out next year in which case I could leave the ugly kitchen in. If we actually live there indefinitely, it has to go. It’s difficult because I loved that condo for many years and to now look at it all uglified is more difficult than it would be for a new person to come along and see it.

Ironic.

Stupid, perhaps, but ironic? Why ironic?

Yes because I just can’t believe you would allow anyone to even see what your carpenter created knowing how particular you are about clean lines and quality work. Ironic may not be the right word. Maybe I should have called it bizarre.

Is there a picture of that horrible kitchen?

You don’t need a picture. Nothing to see. It’s white.

What happened Reg? Were you not clear on what you wanted? Some sort of miscommunication?

What miscommunication? He asked for a white kitchen. What he got was an ugly and a completely disappointing outcome of the vision in his head, which is going to cost him. I mean, he’s either going to have to invest in a new vision or learn to live with the old. Either way, he will have to pay the consequences for poor judgment. Just my self-righteous opinion.

I wrote about it here, Will. The contractor did nothing wrong. This is entirely my fault and I’ll pay the price. It’ll cost me a bit but less than many people spend on a watch and far less than many people spend on a car, so whatever.

Disappointing, Reg. I made some poor choices when refurbishing our house at Mollymook. I learned to live with them as I had had enough of the renovating process by that stage and it would have started a war if I wanted to rip anything out and start again. lol. A white kitchen sounds nice and fresh. Shame it was fugly. The kitchen companies usually provide a design so you can get a good idea as to exactly what you’re going to get. Did they do this for you?

Good question. As a former carpenter I understand how Kim feels. Time and again I have seen people live with the disruption remodeling causes. Dust is the worst of it. To go through all that and be unhappy with what you get would outrage me. I still don’t fully understand where things went wrong.