Russia

I think the 2 quickest ways to end the war is to either kill putin or nuke ukraine. Ukraine is way bigger than most people realize.

Killing Putin would be the best way, but nobody knows how to do it. He’s totally paranoid.

if you manage to kill putin he will just be replaced with an even more aggressive high military person

the quickest way to end this war is to give back the east of ukraine to russia

1 Like

I don’t agree with this. You are old enough to remember Gorbachev. It’s totally uncertain who would replace Putin, and Putin himself isn’t taking any steps to create a line of succession.

Cure cancer while you’re at it. This isn’t going to happen without a million more dead.

I read somewhere last night that Speaker McCarthy announced a withdrawal of funding to Ukraine.

From CNN:

“No, I support Ukraine,” McCarthy said when asked by CNN whether he supports Gaetz’s measure. “I don’t support a blank check, though. We spent $100 billion here, we want to win. I think the actions that President Biden has taken are a bit too late.”

Meanwhile, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell – who attended the Munich Security Conference over the weekend – has given an even sharper message, making it his personal mission of sorts to try and quell the more isolationist voices in his party and assure the Ukrainians that the US will not abandon them.

“Reports about the death of Republican support for strong American leadership in the world have been greatly exaggerated. … Don’t look at Twitter, look at people in power,” McConnell said at the security conference on Friday. “Republican leaders are committed to a strong trans-Atlantic alliance. We are committed to helping Ukraine.”

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/22/politics/ukraine-aid-republican-leaders/index.html

By “help” I hope they mean “aid to the wounded”. Assistance in a humanitarian capacity is the only reasonable and humane solution. Anything more would be a waste.

Today marks the one year anniversary of the invasion of Ukraine. While I believe China has influence, I do not believe this 12-point plan will be successful. The U.S. Biden administration seems hell bent on war and for what? Why is the Biden regime throwing so much at this shitty little corrupt country?

There’s some truth to this insofar as Biden hasn’t waffled at all. That said, it’s pretty clear the man who is hell bent for war is Putin. He invaded Ukraine. He sacrificed two hundred thousand of his own country’s lives. He has isolated his nation and destroyed its reputation. Let’s blame the right person.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/02/us/politics/ukraine-russia-casualties.html

If it’s all the same to you, Reg, I am blaming the right person.

Are you going to move to Russia?

1 Like

No, it’s not all the same to me, but you have the right to your opinion, even when it’s wrong, as it usually is.

No doubt. I often depend on intellects to get it right, even if it’s wrong.

A pity the Dutch in WW II didn’t have the same attitude of yours back then, as it once belonged to the Holy Roman Empire. And why actually just the East, as all of Ukraine once belonged to the Sovjets?

I disagree with Scholz, my chancellor, on most decisions, but he was right on one assessment. Namely that if today politics should consider what chunk of lands once belonged to other countries, then the whole world would sink in wars. East Ukraine has that many Russians because the Russians sent ethnic Russians to these areas. No wonder the majority of Ukrainians refuse to give the East to Russia.

The fastest way to end this war realistically, is to finally send the weapons the Ukrainians need to beat the Russians out of their country incl. the Krim.

because we were never (completely) incorporated into the roman empire and we were not invaded by romans in ww2

That is true, but it is also totally circular.

If we are to justify that almost land was taken by war and just accept it (and it was, and we must), then we are, obviously, justifying war to take land.

If it was ok for the Anglo Saxons to invade and take control of the UK from the Roman Empire and local warlords, and we are all to accept that reality, then how is it now suddenly horrible for Russians to invade Ukraine today? By your own logic, we should just accept this new reality that Russia controls part of Ukraine.

yes almost 20% of ukrain population is ethnically russian and want to be part of russia and the majority of ukrain has russian relatives…

what kind of weapons do you propose to fix that? gas chambers?

What about the Belgians? As I recall, they’ve been under the control of the Austrians, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Lotharingians, and probably more that I don’t know about. Who will they be returning their land to?

Then the Holy Roman Empire map I look at must have been drawn wrongly, lol.

correct, nothing above the rhine river was conquered
now you know where the asterix and obelix stories come from? :wink: