Quotes

“Greatness is not measured by what a man or woman accomplishes, but by the opposition he or she has overcome to reach [their] goals.”

• Dorothy Height

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” gandhi

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” - einstein

“If you want happiness for an hour - take a nap. If you want happiness for a day - go fishing. If you want happiness for a year - inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a life time - help someone else.” chinese proverb

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - lucius annaeus seneca

“When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said ‘Let us pray.’ We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.” - desmond tutu

“The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.” - richard burton

1 Like

I especially like this one because this is the goal of man.

I love this.

What’s going on with this? I’ve heard it 3 times today.

just a lesson in your religion

That wasn’t a lesson. It was a plan.

“It is but a short step from the critical to the hypocritical” ~Anon.

If a thousand men were not to pay their tax bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood. This is, in fact, the definition of a peaceable revolution, if any such is possible.
—Henry David Thoreau

Most of the stuff on the internet is B.S.
-Abraham Lincoln

1 Like

if the police are called, there will be blood
-mybignancy, if you believe the newspaper

Comment is free, but facts are sacred .
-Megan Garber

Why do you attribute quotes in this thread but not others, Bill?

I totally agree with Seneca and Burton. I disagree with Tutu, as his statement indicates that religion was used for the purpose to steal the land. Thats not true.

its not? what was it used for then?

Wrong question in my opinion, as they first grabbed the land and only then missionaries stepped up - and only now your question is valid - to do what their intolerant religion requires them to do: converting others. But it wasn‘t the goal to missionize in order to grab the land. Or which junk of South African soil got into the colonialists hand only because their former black owners swapped faith?

of course getting the land was the goal
ah i see… you dont think religion was used as an excuse but more as an afterthought or something that naturally happened later?

Well, I believe the Dutch would have grabbed the land also if they would have been Atheists or Pagans. There‘s always an excuse.

yes indeed or as mybigmoon would say: r’amen