New House

Looks really nice, Jon. I like snow. In pictures.

1 Like

I went out oolichan fishing a few days ago, got some night shots starting at sundown. Will go through them and post

3 Likes

Brilliant, although fishing sounds unpleasant.

1 Like

Still better than ice-fishing afaik…

My thirst for knowledge has totally changed lately. I think it is making me more intense. Not sure if that is a good thing. In my 20s, I was not interested in learning new things besides stuff at work. Or maybe that was enough. I guess at that point we are always learning. Now 39 and homeowning, the only things I am learning are areas of interest on my own. At work, I teach. I learn a little, but mostly from teaching and fixing problems. Not anything from scratch. I found homebuying and selling confusing, but now I know how to and probably won’t for 20 years.

Now, I’m onto fun stuff. Car detailing, landscaping, baking, improving at chess, fixing broken stuff or trying to fix broken stuff. All I do for physical activity is yoga. Probably 2 or 3 days a week. It is quite physical actually. That’s all I have time for now. I don’t half ass anything anymore. Except for my fantasy baseball draft in an hour.

I ate 15 raviolis yesterday at lunch and have not felt good since. From 4 PM yesterday to 9 PM yesterday, I felt so unproductive, because I was too ill-feeling to clean the leaves out of the gutters.

I am hoping the lab gets inspected tomorrow. We have a regulation inspection every 2 years and they give a window of when it will happen. Other labs actually inspect you, and you inspect another lab on a year that you are not being inspected. It is actually more tiring inspecting another lab than being inspected. Our inspection window is February 13th to May 12th. If they find a deficiency, you usually have 1 month to fix it. Some are fixed on the spot. If you have the same deficiency, two inspections in a row, you can be forced to stop running a test, if it affects that test. Work has been having its usual ridiculous deadlines that I just laugh at at this point. Those always make you think faster and sometimes that’s a good thing.

I went to the dentist last week and the dentist mentioned that I should not use mouthwash. This was the first time, I had heard a dental expert say this. Just floss, brush and use an end tuft toothbrush at the end for a polishing type thing.

Looks like this…

This was right after I bought a 3 pack of Costco 1.5L mouthwash.

Sorry for all the ramblings. Not sure what it had to do with my house. Maybe, I wrote it so Reg has 5 minutes to kill in his hospital bed with his lowfat cheese.

1 Like

You can buy screens for your gutters that keep the leaves out but let the water flow through.

Yeah. I have them in the back. They are 25 feet up lol. These are above the garage. They are only 10 feet up so it should only take 15 minutes with an 8 foot ladder. I thought they had guards but I guess not.

I totally enjoyed your rambling and you’re right, I have nothing else to do. lol.

I’m also more interested in things now but I’m getting quite serious about cutting back on my news intake. It has been unhealthy for the last two years. I’ve also given up on improving at chess. My best chess was in the early 2000s and it wasn’t that good. Now I play my phone now and then to kill time.

Never heard anyone warn against mouth wash before. Do you know his reasoning?

Tomorrow is a big day. I meet an orthopedic surgeon who will tell me if I need him to cut the infected area out or if antibiotics are enough.

The hospital administration called and told me that because I am not Colombian some things are not covered and I have to pay out of pocket. I was concerned. She came to my room with a serious looking face and told me that, if I need surgery, I might have to pay a percentage of the cost but don’t worry it’s capped at no more than $70 for the whole hospital stay including surgery. lol.

lol. I actually laughed out loud. No wonder you got lowfat cheese.

She says mouthwash destroys the good bacteria, too.

I will probably give up on chess in a few months. It is getting nicer out. Good luck!

What kind of lawnmower do you have? is It a reel or rotary. It is rechargeable? Type battery and how do youfind the power?

The reel cut seems tomake a better cut as the cut is vertical and not circular horizonatal, yet I have to try my reel mower. I wouldn’t spray any undercoat to deaden noise, it just causes to much bulk and I get this free undercoat everytime I mow. I have to stop the grass is too high where I was cutting and even hit the blade to shovel blade that left there i didn’t see.
With a side throw you have to follow a certain pattern to mow, some concrete dust vacs/scourers are the same.
Mowing grass makes me sick. They are not even picking up yard waste so I am just letting all the cuts mulch and make more undesired grass.

Don’t be fooled that’s not a sharp metal edge it’s a blade of grass!

There are a lo of things you have to throw on the balance about lawns. Maintenance for one. If you don’t like lawn maintenance you can always use rocks which becoem a problem or cement the thing which also might end up in cracking and weeds busting through the concrete. Weedkiller seems like the good solution and it does work for cracks and by walls and I am going to be using a gallon soon enough.

Some grasses can’t even be cut with a mower, I don’t know the name of it but it grows sometimes with devil grass and it has long stems which lie flat on the ground and are very strong they grow like 3-4 even 6 feet long and they get interwoven when they branch out. It’s hard to rip these up and get the root and they are so flat you cannot cut them with a mower even with an inch clearance. Weedkiller wound see the best solution but I learned from experience.

I did use several gallonsof weedkiller and it is strange spraying any kind of poison how things seem to get so quiet and relaxed. But soon enough over the weeks things turned yellwoing and everything died all like straw yellow. Sometimes it is best just to leaveit there so it somethers out any new growth, but it is easy enough to clear with a shovel and rake. But what happened after months of rain was plants started growing back. All the poison seemed to put some strangenutrient factor in the soil we had the most diverse garden of strange prehistoric looking weeds in the neighborhood. We don’t put any new seeds or fertilizer just let the poision seep in the soil, and the toughest most diverse thickly packed forest fo weeds came up. It was uncanny, that and super tough.

You’re probably poisoning yourself while you’re at it.

Well poisoning you was probably not an option in the silly directions.

I think that’s what I have. Was around 280 with the battery and charger. I also got a 40v leafblower and that has a battery so I have two 40v batteries. I have an 18 volt drill and an 18 volt wheedwacker that share the same battery. The leafblower and weedwacker have been a waste. They are good if I want to annoy the neighbors. That’s probably their best use.

That’s interesting. I bought a Dewalt blower here and it has been one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. It lets me blow out my computers (I use an air compressor in Canada but this is much better) and quickly clean both balconies. Once every few months I just blow the whole apartment to keep hard-to-dust areas clean (like under the bed and in the closets). Every time I use it I am amazed at how powerful it is.

I use it to clean out the garage and snow off my car at work. Get some funny looks there lol. It has uses. If you are over 4 feet tall, leafblowing is not one of them.

Rotary cut.

I’m going to cut some branches. Considering a pole Sawcutter possibly electrical with mini chainsaw