My New house

I have seen houses that look like wet cardboard how easily they were built. It’s no wonder when disaster doesn’t pass them over. When it just can’t stand, it can’t stand. The Universe will balance itself.

I would never advocate doing anything illegal but Daniel is totally right. If you slightly modify a 50cc scooter with readily YouTube-able methods, you can get it to reach up to 80 km/h (50 mph) which is plenty for getting around town and even ok for some highway if you’re careful about staying in the slow lane and getting out of people’s way when they want to pass. I have never done this but I wouldn’t hesitate to if I needed to. Another option to consider is e-Bikes. They aren’t as fast but you can use bicycle lanes. Or even just a regular bicycle. Lots of people of all ages use them to get around and you live in a climate that makes that possible year-round.

1 Like

With 320 pounds rider weight on an an incline?

That’s a good point. You would need to carefully check the max weight load of any bicycle.

Yes, but get it back on track. Does Jonny have room for one in his garage? Or what will it cost him to charge an electric scooter and/or a larger electric vehicle? How reliable is the power out there? Will he need a generator?

I can’t speak for him but from what I know of rural Canada, especially up north where he lives, one needs a real car. Canada is huge, everything is far away, and everything is highway. Also, half the year is winter the likes of which most people could not imagine.

So is that road paved Jonny? How is it in heavy rain?

It was a weekend of moving and take out and complete garbage from fast food chains lol its even more sterile now as things are being put in place. And idk what women prefer then as any relationships I started i don’t recall having anything lol I haven’t even set up my bar or weight room yet. Making sure the kids are all set up first

Yup, I have a 2018 Malibu right now and winter time it’s gonna be completely useless. Anything 4 wheel here is a must almost during winter and even then you can get stuck at home

We get about 70 inches of snow here on average. That’s over a 3 month span. I don’t think that is too bad. Ours are definitely milder. I purposely try not to get an AWD so my transmission will last longer and I don’t worry about getting 4 new tires if one blows out. The fact those concern me more than the winter weather makes me think our winters are not awful. The rest of the country seems to think new England has tough winters. Even midwest folk I’ve talked to. It was funny to hear them say 220000 was an expensive house lol.

I think part of it is, it is more crowded here and the roads are not bad. I commute 30 miles in blizzards but the roads are in decent shape and enough cars on them that they have to be.

Your home is beautiful and so much space to grow. I love how much light you get from those big windows. What a blessing. Not everyone is that fortunate. Some get space while others get natural light but how often can a person be blessed with both. Well anyway, I hope you don’t cover them with blinds or curtains. So many people cover their windows with anything, even tinfoil, to keep the light from shining through. Makes me crazy. Congratulations! Stunning home!

1 Like

good point. I wouldn’t want to ride e-scooters in German winters, but a liquid cooled scooter is bearable. They’re a bit more expensive than air-cooled 50ccms, but also have a bit more power to the ccm. Plus, You can “abuse” the cooler to warm up your hands at chilling temperatures and even transport burgers and other fast food next to the radiator :wink: works.
But if you live in a warmer climate like Spain, there maybe isn’t such a necessity.

I didn’t know the U.S. also has this stupid limitation.
This limitation worked OK up to the 90s when you had 2-stroke engines without catalysators. They develop much more power to the ccm than 4-stroke ones.
Also: bear in mind: you can hardly “optimize” a 4-stroke except from changing the piston to more ccm which is rather “obvious” and might end up losing both your license or insurance coverage.
2-strokes can be “optimized” in a variety of ways, the most effective one being by “indirectly” adding some extra ccm through a well resonating sports exhaust. Of course open - without any limitation or catalysator.

That way, your scooter will also “talk” to you - if he smokes a lot e.g. at temperatures below the freezing point, you might want to treat him extra kindly by warming up the motor before driving and no full throttle driving at those temperatures. (Especially when roads are snowy and the scooter is “optimized” you wouldn’t want to go full throttle for security’s sake anyways).

I don’t know about the U.S. and Canada - but over here in Germany there are no winter tyres or spikes available in stores even not in winter times, because main stream assumes one wont ride when there is snow or ice. And I had only below average success in crafting nonskid chains for the old f*cker :wink:
I rode the thing for 10 years straight ~30000km, learned some repair skills at a friends garage myself and sold it in still working condition. Parts were very cheap, but short-lived (Italian “quality”) due to “no electric thrills”. French Peugeot 50ccm racing scooters had much higher quality parts back then, but I learned to live with the Italian underdog.
Another plus VS. a car in Germany: no mandatory technical inspections!! Cheap cheap. As a plus, that gives you the means to even craft some spare-parts in your friend’s garage if OEM parts were “too italian”, “too expensive” or simply not available.

Served me very well and MUCH cheaper than a car and also if you mainly ride within city limits you were second to none when it comes to arriving somewhere quickly. :muscle: 2-STROKE-POWER :muscle:
Consumption was about 4-6 liters/100km unleaded (plus 1 liter of full synthetic racing oil every now and then) which is little in comparison to a car but way too much in comparison to todays stupidly slow 4-strokes.

I haven’t been into the whole e-mobility thing yet, but maybe some bbader can report his experiences here in the tech section (to not talk about superb president Trump and Teddy all the time…)

My scooter, well in yellow, and this one has been piston-modded 50ccm–>70ccm
…take note that scooters’ - especially Malaguti’s - speed indicator always shows about 15% too high speed.
Oh boy, I want my 2-stroke back :wink: watching this video

I think that 50 cc rule is in most countries. Just do a Youtube search on “big bore kit 50cc scooter” and you’ll see a hundred how-to videos. It’s not legal but unless the cop is going to literally take your scooter apart, I don’t see how you can be caught. Note that I’m not recommending this. Just noting that it’s nearly impossible to be caught. In BC the rules are:

• An engine displacement of 50 cc or less (or less than 1.5 kW of power if other than a piston engine),
  • A transmission that does not require shifting or a clutch,
  • A maximum speed of 70 km/h,
  • Wheels that are at least 254 mm (10 inches) in diameter and;
  • A dry weight of 95 kg or less.
  • All mopeds and limited-speed motorcycles are required to be licenced and insured by law; operator must wear a helmet.

Electric bicycles do not need to be insured. They’re the way to go. Cheaper and better than 50 cc scooters, modded or not.

very nice! user friendly :heart:

Yes, 70 km/h is enough for almost all city use.

1 Like

wow, that is different over here. Only below 25km/h it is that the case here.

yeah 4-stroke 50ccm do suck.
Range might be an argument though. Sometimes I rode 50-100km distances with the fcker, I don’t know whether one can do this with an e-scooter

Depends on the e-bike. This one (a Rad Rover) is rated at 72 km per charge, but you can just carry another battery (mounted on the frame in the picture) to double that. The other thing is that every e-Bike is backed up by your legs so you can just pedal if you run out of juice (although e-bikes are quite heavy so they’re not as nice as riding regular bikes).

1 Like