G'DAY G'DAY

Hi Kim. Nice to hear from you. It would take me a while to recap the last 15 years but my life is better than most. Probably better than at least 90% of the population. My cats have a better life than I do. Minus food choices.

My hobbies now are yoga, chess, hiking, woodworking , and gardening. The only ones I’m good at are yoga and hiking. Although being good at yoga is a strange concept. I like baking too. That’s probably my best hobby but it has been difficult to bake during the pandemic when you can’t share food.

As a side note, I mentioned days ago that I probably will not have to wear a mask at work after wearing one for 2000 hours over the last year. I was right. I have to wear it about 1% of the time. It was the best news for myself in weeks. And surprising.

1 Like

Do you have a favorite chess piece? Mine is the queen. Thinki’s is 3 bishops. Reg is logical so his is probably the king. My least favorite from a personality view is the rook. I used to like it, but it barely moves and then decides to do something after 30 moves.

There is much truth to this. lol. I try to book appointments in the afternoon because “mornings are crazy here”. The truth is I’m usually asleep. lol.

This place needs a glossary. “Take the mark” means “get a vaccine” in Daniel’s world.

Congratulations! I am so over masks. I’m vaccinated and cases are plummeting here.

Yes, that’s exactly right. I would also say it’s good not to get emotionally attached to any particular player. They should all be sacrificed as needed for the king.

1 Like

uhm no, thinki is all about equality so every piece is important
when someone starts offering draws after blundering their queen i do usually try to get as many bishops or horsies as possible on the board before they run away or get mated :wink:

Sorry for the late response. I had typed out a reply and muffed it up somehow and it didn’t go through. Then house guests arrived so haven’t been online for a couple of days.

Awesome news, Reg. Old and boring has its perks!

We relocated to QLD 6 months ago. By road, it’s a 14 hr, 1250-ish km trip northeast. I am missing Mollymook but we wanted to live dangerously and give something new a try. Definitely more on offer in QLD; warmer climate and overall superior facilities, which is important to us as we approach our not-so-young years. We are holiday letting Mollymook so if things don’t work out in QLD we always have the option to go back!

As far as flying goes, I did fly to QLD to check out real estate prior to our relocation. The flight up was awful and I was dreading the return flight so much I had to visit a GP beforehand for a sedative lol Needless to say, flying anywhere isn’t big on my bucket list. I kick myself really, sometimes I do feel I’m missing out.

Have you retired, Reg?

Cool! I have a cousin there working as a doctor. He’s an idiot so I don’t talk to him but his photos of the place are pretty. I totally understand the move. Small town life is not for me. And yes, as we get older, it’s nice when a hospital, fire station and police station are nearby.

And nice that you flew, if only a few times. Yes, you’re missing out, but you already knew that. :slight_smile:

I sold my business in 2015 and moved to a tiny village in the high Andes in Colombia. It was 2.5 kilometers straight up. Four years of that and then we moved to Medellín, which is a bubbling cauldron of human life. Two years there. I loved both. Then covid hit and I came back to Vancouver where I am now. I’m enjoying life here, riding my bicycle around the seawall and playing with my ham radio. Can you imagine a more old-man hobby than ham radio?

I’m not done yet though. I’m still very much in business. Just bought an office in downtown Vancouver. I’m planning to add a bit of real estate to my life in the coming years as it’s something I can see myself managing when I’m too old to be in normal business. It’s usually profitable and it’s not too much work if you stick to commercial. Residential is torture as you can’t easily kick people out here.

Covid numbers are crashing and I’m already thinking about what’s next. I have always wanted to spend a couple/few years in Europe. Perhaps Barcelona or Paris. Maybe Valencia. I had thought of spending a couple of years in Africa but covid has made travel there dubious. The most likely, however, is that we move to Cartagena which is a beautiful city on the Caribbean Sea. I am already legal in Colombia so this would require no paperwork. Just buy the plane tickets and go.

This is my album of Cartagena, if you’re interested. It looks like it’s just one photo but if you click it, you can see the rest of my photos.

Realistically, though, we’re in Vancouver until the end of the year, and perhaps much of 2022. International travel right now is torture. I am not eager to get stranded somewhere for a year. It’s not so bad, though. Isa has not seen much of Vancouver before and we’re playing tourist in my home town. I’m seeing things I haven’t seen for decades again. We’re taking up kayaking. lol. A nice summer awaits.

1 Like

Dan, nice to see you still online and in BBad! Sounds like you (and your cats) are living the good life! My doggies are very spoilt…they are getting on (one is 16 and the other 12) but both doing very well given their advanced years.

Love your hobbies, Dan. I enjoy walking/hiking, baking/cooking, cycling (pathway not road). I love aqua aerobics, yoga and pilates, but haven’t started back at these since our move. Definitely on my to-do list in the very near future. I find as I’m getting older, particularly with a sedentary job, the hips and back start locking up and I find myself walking around like a half-opened pocket knife. I really love the all-important stretching with yoga and pilates.

Prior to our move in Dec 20, I’d regularly (2-3 times per week) go on 17km amazingly scenic coastal walks. Familiarity of my surroundings was the key there. I need to checkout what’s on offer at my new locale and get going again as I really do miss my walks.

Happy to hear about the reduction of your mask wearing at work. They make getting on with tasks quite difficult (not to detract from their necessity during this past 18months). I can only imagine how thrilled you are. You’re in the medical field, aren’t you?

Hmmm my favourite chess piece… My son, who was in primary school at the time - early 2000s, joined chess club at school. I had never played, had no idea how to play and so thought I’d be helpful and check out the rules of chess on the internet to bring him up to speed. I stumbled across Zone Chess and the rest is history. I learned the bare bones via a couple of seasoned campaigners, however friendships and social online gatherings took over my desire to learn the rules. lol I have a beautiful chess set which is packed away in a box. I need to bring it out and start playing again as I’m completely rusty and can’t remember which piece does what! Just to answer the question though, I will say the Queen is my favourite piece - purely because she’s a sheila! Sorry Dan, written a book here. I won’t be offended if you reply with “tldr”. lol

That’s interesting. The number 1 goal of the rook is to trade places with the king when danger approaches. No other piece has that power. He’s the strongest of the 3 higher ranking pieces.

Right. The most useless piece on the board. His goal is to side-step every advance his opponent makes against him.

These are interesting pieces. Their goal, take everything in their path before taken. Bishops should be respected for their long reach. That makes them a very powerful piece. Ditto for knights. Their side-stepping smoothness separates them from all the rest.

The most powerful piece on the board. Her goal, kill her opponents king. She doesn’t move like the knight but she’s strong like rook and far reaching. I love using her, especially knowing I can reproduce her from a lowly pawn.

To me, the most interesting part of the board is the forgotten pawns. Their number 1 goal, take the middle. I think it’s interesting the way they lock together and have the power to take higher ranking pieces in their quest to rank up to form a coalition against the king.

1 Like

Wow, Reg, you’ve certainly called some exciting places home over the past near decade. Lockdown looks nice in either of those gorgeous settings in Colombia. The Cartagena album is simply stunning.
Superb photography, and it helps that the subject matter and location are breathtaking. Your description as ‘the most romantic place on Earth’ looks to be quite fitting. If I were brave enough to relocate abroad, going by those photos alone, it would make the list. Thanks for the link to the album - really enjoyed looking through it.

Riding the bicycle around the seawall and playing with the ham radio sound like fun pastimes. Being somewhat unworldly and technically challenged, I’m imagining the ham radio is similar to a CB radio?

I just bought an e-bike over the weekend. I wanted more of a step-through design as my former bike is over 20 years old and I have been struggling a bit with the mounting and dismount to the point where on a recent 30km ride I was quite pooped and lost my balance attempting to dismount, falling with the bike landing on top of me and the old metal pedal taking a good bite out of one of my shins. The cycle paths are brilliant here in QLD so I have no doubt I’ll be putting this new bike to good use. I’m only planning to use the power when struggling under my own steam when going up an incline as I’m keen to improve my fitness level.

I love kayaking too, Reg. Do you have your own kayak? If so, which type? I currently have a 2-man kayak and considering getting a single. Where do you kayak? lakes, rivers, ocean…?

Being a tourist in your beautiful home town can only be a positive. We tend to become complacent with our surroundings so it’s nice to explore all over again with someone who is experiencing it for the first time. Sounds like you and Isa both have a wonderful summer in store.

Cool! I seriously considered e-Bikes but I don’t trust myself to do what you said you’re going to do, namely only use power when struggling on inclines. I just know myself and if the bike has a throttle, I’m going to use the throttle. Even if it doesn’t have a throttle, I’m going to put it on max pedal assist and lie to myself about how I’ll reduce the pedal assist next time. I really tend to take the path of least resistance when it comes to all physical activity. I prefer that wording to saying I’m as lazy as hell which means the same thing. I bought a non-electric bike so I wouldn’t have those temptations. It seriously limits me, however, as I am simply physically unable to do some rides. Vancouver is surrounded by mountains and those are just off limits to me because I am not fit enough to make it up to the top, whereas on an e-Bike they’d be easy to conquer.

Step-throughs are the way to go. Isa and I both have step-throughs.

Where in Queensland are you? Brisbane?

Ham Radio is CB for adults. CB is deregulated here so anyone can go buy and use one without licensing. As a result, the last time I listened to CB (about a decade ago), some guy came on and announced that that he was going to pleasure himself and, from the sounds that came out of my radio, it seems he delivered. You don’t tend to get that sort of thing on ham radio. It also has much better range. Some ham radios can reach Australia from here, conditions permitting.

I don’t own my own kayak. Right now we go down to the local kayak club and rent them for $8/hr. We’re still deciding if we want a two-person or one-person kayak and the nice thing about renting is that we can try them until we know for sure what we like better. I don’t like the idea of getting separated but on the other hand, it’s just easier to manage with a smaller kayak. The other thing about renting is that we don’t have to worry about where to put it. I don’t like houses. We live in a concrete skyscraper downtown. I have absolutely nowhere to stick a 14’ kayak. I could rent storage at the local kayak club but that all seems like a lot of work for something that’s supposed to be fun. For now, I’m going to settle on buying our own PDFs, which we still don’t own. I don’t like the rental ones, and we can fit PDFs in the condo, just not kayaks.

We kayak in an ocean inlet called False Creek so far, not out in the open ocean like you have in Aus. See photo below (not mine). We usually stick to this little inlet, avoiding the planes. It’s right in downtown Vancouver so it’s very convenient for us. I live in one of the buildings on the left side of the inlet in this picture. By the way, this is also where we cycle, around the Seawall, which is that little path on the edge of the water. It gets crowded so we’re looking for new places to explore for both kayaking and cycling which have a bit less traffic.

Where do you kayak, Kim? Are there sheltered areas and lakes or are you out on the open ocean? That’s a brave undertaking if you do. And do you still live in a house? Many people downsize as they get older but others just don’t share my taste for concrete and they like houses better. Now that I think of it, you must surely still live in a house if you have a two-person kayak.

Re being a tourist at home, we went to the Art Gallery the other day. Much of it was beautiful, but the modern stuff was totally wasted on me. Someone had stacked up some laundry detergent and taken a photo of it and that was art. Someone else had spilled paint on a Ford logo and apparently that was art. I don’t get it.

PS: Isa came over and saw my screen as I wrote this and asked in Spanish, “Why did you take a photo of that ugly thing? That’s not art in my opinion. Gringos are so weird.” Apparently she doesn’t get it, either.

PPS: Sorry for the absurdly long response. Nice catching up with you after a bit of time, though. :slight_smile:

It’s only been a few days but I’m loving the step-through and wishing I’d upgraded ages ago. Here’s my new wheels:

An hour and a half north of Brisbane. On the Sunshine Coast.

A CB radio was my entertainment as a young teen. There were some nutters on air who were good for a giggle. I didn’t have the same experience that you did with pleasure man - luckily!

I hear you. They are bulky and take up a lot of space, as well as being a pain in the backside to transport if you want to venture out, so renting is a great idea. $8/hr is nice and reasonable.

Looks picturesque, Reg. I can imagine that every person and their dog would be utilising False Creek and the surrounding cycle paths - it really is a beautiful spot. I’m sure you’ll enjoy exploring less crowded locations. Would love to see pics when you do.

I kayak in protected waterways - rivers, lakes, inlets, etc. Definitely not brave enough (or silly enough?) to do it out on the open ocean!

Still living in a house, although we have most definitely downsized which I’m still adjusting to. I had to cull so much ‘stuff’ - both sentimental and completely useless. This was a huge undertaking for me as I have previously been a bit of a hoarder. We have 2x kayaks but left one at Mollymook as we simply didn’t have the room to store it in the new abode. Our house is situated in a canal estate so we can kayak at our back doorstep and venture from there to the interconnecting river and inlet which is very handy. I’ll pop a couple of pics below of our waterway.

The modern stuff is totally wasted on me too. I find that sign to be ugly - even without the spilled paint, but horses for courses - we all appreciate beauty in our own way.

Nice catching up with you too, Reg. I see that Jules has visited in the not too distant past. I hope I manage a catch up with her - been so long. Do you ever hear from other ex-Zoners/BBaders such as onlyplayin, Barb, Kyaela, Prince Disarming, Melissa, et al?

I snuck a youtube link in there but it’s not really visible - not sure where I went wrong? It’s nothing too exciting - a couple of black swans swimming in the waterway at the back of my house.

Kim, just paste the address of the Youtube video directly into your message and the site will take care of embedding it. Don’t use the embed code, just the link that shows up in your address line.

https://youtube.com/something-or-other

Will respond to your other post later. Nice photos and looks brilliant for kayaking!

1 Like

I googled it. Looks gorgeous. Sandy beaches and a quiet, idyllic life. Tons of inland protected waterways and lakes for kayaking, too.

Congratulations! Breaking the hoarding habit can be harder than breaking a heroin habit for some. I’m the opposite of a hoarder. I’d much rather buy something twice than stock things I never use.

Beautiful! I have never seen a black swan in person.

Julie comes and goes. She’s settled back in Aus. No more Arabs for her. She drops in now and then.

Brian (onlyplayin) moved to a tiny island off the west coast of the US south of the Canadian border. He’s living a very quiet, idyllic life there, a far cry from the gangsta rap studio lifestyle he once led. I’m friends with him on Facebook but he never comes here. I think he gave up on politics totally as his Facebook is totally devoid of controversy. He posts about lawn tractors now. :slight_smile:

I am not sure but I think Kyaela is dead. Her health was failing and she was living in her car when she disappeared a few years ago. I hope I’m wrong.

Vincent (Prince Disarming) disappeared many years ago. His health was also failing.

Melissa fell out with me long ago. I don’t know how she is.

Adam married Phelpzy and had a couple of kids. He’s studying to be a nurse. He doesn’t come here anymore but I have him on FB.

Mark (Silky) was here until recently but he felt disrespected so he left. I don’t know if he’ll be back.

Same for Bill Lowerre if you remember him. He’s the guy who overdosed on Klonopins and came to the Zone to die. He found out later than Klonopins don’t kill you. Made for an interesting night, though. Anyway, he got bitter and left.

Nico (thinkingaboutit) is still here. He is also sadly still Dutch. And crazy.

Jonny just had a kid up in Northern Canada. He drops by now and then. He seems to be doing fine.

Will is still here as you have seen, and Michele, and Dan, and Gunda, and some others.

Madshaolin drops by about once a year. He seems fine. He hasn’t updated his photo for 25 years but that’s his style.

The old guy in charge of the Grizzlies (GrizzlyLoco?) apparently died. I didn’t know him at all but someone told us about it ages ago. UncleBeb died too, of course. Cid died.

That’s all I can remember off the top of my head.

1 Like

dont mind reg, he likes to call people names… he is just old and getting more senile every day

That’s a beautiful photo, Reg. I don’t know why you aren’t posting photos like these on the POM.

1 Like

I would have been throwing up all over the boat and been too weak to jump in the water, so I never would have gotten eaten.

I read that on the way home. He suffered a broken leg. He’s lucky to be alive.

lol interesting but lacking story… they claim he is “the best lobster diver” but they fail to mention how many lobsters he caught…