Colombia

https://reader.epoch.cloud/?token=b6aaba0fc997acd25dd4588a3b20db2e_5d6f943e_13bfdee&selDate=20190904&goTo=A01&artid=2&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=epochtimes-E-Editions&utm_source=epochtimes&utm_content=Read-Button

“After 2016, the statistics on lethal and non-lethal violence have skyrocketed, and the situation is critical.”

Colombia’s crime rate is actually at an all time low. It’s true that the FARC just announced a call to arms but almost nobody serious believes that will amount to anything.

Medellín, the city I’m in, has a murder rate of 24.75 per 100,000 inhabitants. For comparison, St. Louis has 66.1 murders per 100,000 people, followed by Baltimore (55.8 per 100,000), Detroit (39.8 per 100,000), New Orleans (39.5 per 100,000) and Baton Rouge, Louisiana (38.3 per 100,000).

Canada, by the way, has a murder rate of 1.68 per 100,000 and Vancouver is about the same at 1.66. Many of those are domestic murders which I know of no way to reduce.

I’m sorry, Reg. I wasn’t judging Colombia’s crime rate but that was informative so thank you for taking the time to respond to at least one of my posts.

Not surprised.

This is huge to me. It drastically affects my life. I hate governments sometimes.

Wow. I wonder if that will happen here. That is awful.

California is doing their best to kill ride sharing with their new gig economy law. I think it’s stupid. Gig economy is the way of the future for a lot of people. It empowers people who aren’t mobile, single moms who have to look after their kids at home, students who need extra cash working night jobs, seniors who are still capable but aren’t up to full time work and so on. Why California wants to attack it is beyond me.

Vancouver promised Uber would be available by Christmas. It’s now mid January and nada.

My Uber now costs almost exactly the same as my Lyft and sometimes even more. Before it was about half even with passes on promo discounts on each. I thought it might have been because I had hardly used Lyft as much as Uber. Here in CA the clo of ub is on the opp side of his sis in law the sntr.

I wonder if more people will start driving cars in Colombia. Maybe the price will go down if they get more cars since nobody will be able to afford taxi everyday?

God I hope not. Traffic is stupid down there. They really need to start enforcing clean gas and exhausts. Pollution is bad, although nowhere near Asian levels.

Probably doomed then. Take a long time and a lot of money for public transit.

While I was driving 1 mph on the highway a few weeks ago in a storm, I looked around at all the exhaust coming out of cars heating up the road so it wasn’t icy. I hope more electric cars don’t mean more icy roads. Maybe they should keep them in the warmer weather. They seem to function better and easier in nice weather. Then again, Oslo is about 50% electric now. Maybe more. I guess some people are just used to it. Or maybe Scandinavians are just tough.

This could be really bad for us. Right now it’s just in the US. If they have to cease operations totally, it will really hurt us. They are by far the best airline for getting around in Colombia. Everyone also knows they’re only the first and that many more will follow.

yes losing a major airline would be a huge hit on any country and will directly impact many other businesses
ah they have a dutch ceo: anko van der werff… looks like he did a pretty good job until corona happened

the french and dutch governments pumped 10 billion euro into airfrance-klm and if needed much more

This could be bad for our entire world but why are you bothered by this? With the advent of the internet and work going online, there isn’t even any need for travel beyond tourism. There will always be an airline industry but it may be that there are just not so many flights going to and fro all over the world. This is the new global norm. You’re not embracing it as well as you once promoted it.

Can you get an online carpenter?

When did I promote this, Michele? I’m the open-borders guy, remember? I think travel is good.

When you promoted globalization.

Michele, globalization is pro-travel.

Or did you somehow think globalization was about convenience for the wealthy and destruction to the poor, fat and diseased?