Cars

Still looking Dan. There’s a lot of 'em. Guess you’re right about me and old cars.

1 Like

Would you ever sell a car on carfax? How about Carmax? Or just go with craiglist?

According to carfax the dealer would sell my car for 6800. I would get 5100 to an individual and 3400 by trading it in to the dealer.

I like automatics. If you’re going to install a mobile ham radio, you need a hand free to use the mic.

BTW, these last couple make a lot of sense. Keep it under 10k and you’ll have no financial guilt.

We have CL but I don’t think the other two operate in Canada. Ebay also moves a lot of cars.

I like automatics too, but if I was buying a miata, I’d get a standard. That fun toy should last a while. Which is why Will will be able to find a standard miata, eventually.

I just watched the video. I have to admit, I just find all that type of stuff misguided. The joy of a convertible is 2% the vehicular dynamics of the car and 98% taking the top down and enjoying the world around you being a bit closer and less isolated than it normally is. All convertibles do the latter, and if one rolls a bit more and has a slightly softer suspension than the others, I really don’t care at all. I would also trade all the vehicular dynamics in the world for not having to spend too much.

I should mention that, while I plan to give motorcycling another go in the future, I really love convertibles a thousand times more than I love motorcycles. The experience is just far better. On a bike, you prep for riding. You get your helmet, put on your jacket and boots, change your pants if they’re not thick enough, and then ride usually all sweaty and far more isolated than you would be in a car because you’ve got 2" of helmet touching your head. In a convertible, you hop in wearing whatever you have on, no prep at all, and you take down the top while you drive away. You’re also closer to nature than you’ve ever been before in a vehicle.

I should add if I was getting a used civic, I would also want it manual. Last year there were more new electric cars in the USA sold than new manual transmission cars. That says something, since new electric cars made up 2% of new cars. Manual transmissions are a thing of the past and probably not any cheaper to buy. Nobody drives them anymore. Honda makes average transmissions compared to their engines. A standard honda would last forever, but Honda doesn’t get a benefit from making them. They’d rather sell you a car every 7 years.

I’ve owned many manuals in my life and there was a time where I wouldn’t buy a sports car with an automatic. Those days are gone. I don’t particularly enjoy the act of clutching and shifting. I also don’t push cars near their limits and, if you don’t do that, there’s really nothing at all to be gained from a manual for me.

Very true. If you aren’t going to keep your car for more than 10 years, there is not much point to do it in a regular car.

Unless you get a nissan. Then I would ask that you get a different car and give me the $5000 you would have spent on a new transmission after 3 years.

2 Likes

Now getting feminine blowback on the whole idea. “You’re too tall. Your head will poke through the roof. I’m afraid you won’t be comfortable and will regret it.” I think the operative words there are “I’m afraid”. To be fair I should go drive one and see how it feels. If I’m not comfortable then she might be right. But I am not afraid. Angie and I are at different ends of the spectrum. She has been “researching” laptops for a year while I tend to leap into the abyss.

I don’t know how tall you are but the 6’3" guy in your video definitely said he didn’t fit into the NB.

I’m 6’1". Now the biggest problem I see is Florida weather., Last summer was the hottest on record and our “summer” runs from what you guys call spring through fall. It’s god awful hot. I remember when I rented the corvette we never put the top down. So I am letting go of the convertible idea. Maybe I will put some more money into the truck. For today I am buying a new tv.

Well, for what it’s worth, your thinking this through online has been interesting. I think you’re making the right decision. If it’s too hot for 8 months of the year, that’s not worth doing. I also remember seeing Florida get pretty cold in winter. Just not the best location.

I probably won’t take any action this summer either since my life is a bit unstable with Erika’s visa situation. My own visa in Colombia comes up in December and I have to sort it before then, too. I might be in a good position to buy a convertible this winter if the visas are set, however. That’s a great time to buy. There are some amazing deals out there in winter.

There’s a good chance Dan will mock me if/when that time comes as the Nissan Z car is right at the top of my list. My reason is quite stupid. They have a beautiful center cubbyhole that opens up to a space that is perfectly suited to hide a couple of ham radios in. I know it’s silly to want that so much but I do. lol. I will actually pay more for the non-navigation version so I can do that. lol.

I found it to be helpful (fun too). I just bought a new tv instead.

I find the Z cars to be very nice and I believe reliable.

Dan doesn’t. lol. :smiley:

How big is the tv?

43" Samsung UHD

The question I have is can a smart tv stream movies? Do I need a Roku?