Boxing

Watch Tyson do it here almost forcing his opponent to do the same. But Tyson does not have to angle his head to the point it is as vulnerable to an uppercut. If you watch carefully you can see where Tyson forces Ruddock to take a left hook to the body to avoid getting hit by the crown of Tyson’s head squae on the nose. Sometimes Tyson will come in with his head to the right sometimes he will stop it 1 inch away from Ruddocks nose.

At 1:39 an announcer says headbutt by Tyson if I am not mistaken.

I used to never want to see Tyson defeated, just because he was a short guy who faced opponents that towered over him with long reach. Now I probably would have sympathized with those other fighters more.
At 6:25 Tyson shoots up punch almost vertical and strikes Bruno with the inside of his elbow. At about 7:40 there are two punches that are targeted off into space and he connects twice with a forward elbow and once with a backward draw of the elbow after his left arm cross his opponents head and body. No calls for it as the elbow is connected to the forearm which is connected to the wrist and boxing glove I suppose. True he has a shorter reach, but you can see Bruno nobly looking down at him like a moose knowing his intentions to use the elbows and headbutts which force Bruno to keep the fight head high and up. He has the option to headbutt too and you see the head to head is the only option to counter the headbutt at times.
At 16:12 there is an “eyebutt” where they slam eye to eye with the step in body shot from Tyson. If you go back about 3 seconds to 16:09 you see him land another body shot without crashing in, angling his head down and stepping out squared in an upright stance.

Tyson was great for his slips, his Dempsey Roll and his powerful jab to thebody, his short hooks and short uppercuts. I just really noticed though now how much crown of head contact he used to wear down his opponents without penalty. Do you consider how much head contact will determine the outcome of a fight or just footwork, defense and punches? He won by unlimited use of the head in a lot of matches I sometimes watch over.

1 Like

There is more head to head contact than total glove to head contact in his fights.

1 Like

A testament to Freddie Roach’s wraps. Where did he get such power and skill? Was he bitten by a spider?

Frank Bruno still dignified.

Tyson looks real clean here with no headbutting or head contact or elbows seen whatsoever. All you see is a fighter working doubly hard to overcome an opponents reach advantage and the opponent worn down by tenacious attack and evasive moves causing wasted energy. The finishing punches all seem very clean and well earned.

But notice he only throws those punches after prolonged head contact and bullrushing in with the head? But that was all I saw in his fights before. And how it hard it seemed for him to throw punches. What never occured to me was because his head was such an effective weapon.

Tyson Bruno 2 elbow by Tyson at 8:30 , Bruno gets cautioned for holding, apparently the ref didn’t see it or anyone else. Bruno developed an anti headbutt style because he couldn’t get a a fair shake from the ref’s I believe. He gets blatantly elbowed and is cautioned by the Ref. Let Tyson win with his fists or you will get headbutts and elbows with no foul and no disqualification I suppose.

Boxing defense can be awesome to watch, but some of it is just running patterns and not reacting. For instance punches are usually number so boxers listen for numbers by their coaches to make combos.
If you want to throw punches you can just throw whatever punches you want but this is the normal pucn by number system
Left Jab (1)
Right Cross or Straight right (2)
Left Hook (3)
Right Hook (4)
Left Uppercut (5)
Right Uppercut (6)

I dont know if there is a numbered defense system for slip, duck, bob and weave, and block etc but some fighters use a few set patterns and change them up. There is no real reaction to punches but by following the pattern you avoid the most commonly taught beginner combos and seem hard to hit and with faster reactions. This can work to a disadvantage. I dont know where term get caught slipping originates from but it could be from boxing. Also the bob and weave that looks so impressive. If you just program that in a random pattern you have may have a greater percentage chance of a punch missing you than staying upright and unflinching and trying to react to punches.
However if you do the movement very violently in one direction and your opponent catches onto the pattern and throws a very powerful punch coming from the opposite direction you can more than double the force and impact than if you left your head in the same place.

Its hard for me to call techniques in boxing and mma. One reason is my vision. I might now see the same things as others or they get edited out. But I am learning “film” vision and trying to perfect it. Human vision or from what I get from others is not a smooth stream. That’s why I don’t still do not understand when people talk about streaming visual media. From what I understand their visual is based upon a series of snapshots.
In film the frame rate is 16-24. I think the maximum is 24 frames per sec in film. Nobody can really track movement beyond that despite technology producing 60 and even 300. Often converting film just causes double or triple snapshots. Bruce Lee was a master on film and you remember the too fast to be seen moves and super slow after images.

But if you box unprofessionally or not you might notice how suddenly it seems dark and your vision is tunnel vision. Your vision might be reduced to 12-24 frames per second or even less if your opponent suddenly “co video streams” in his data at 300 frames per second. This makes it very hard to track and calculate.

This is what I mean. An opponent is rotating his torso in a circle and the head is following a circular path making it hard to target. If his image is being streamed in superfast “filming” him with your vision might help. The use of “apparent motion” just like a car hubcab or rim seems to be moving backward at high speed. Although the opponent may be rotating clockwise at a higher rate than you can track, you can take snapshots of him as he appears to moving counterclockwise. All you have to do is set your frame rate so he makes a little less than one full motion per frame. Thus in your frames he is a blur but you catch him from 12 clockwise going to 11, from 11 clockwise going to 10, from 10 clockwise going 9. You can predict his position as if he is moving counter clockwise 12,11,10,9 etc.

Streaming in might give you a terrible advantage to somebody with film speed snapshot optics, but with some calculations and adjustments, it can cost you on the spot.

The same goes for simple side to side pendulum tick tock movements. Your vision goes black between shots. The person might appear not to have moved at all.

Just remember you might be getting a feed to like 3 connecting chess moves at 3 frames per second. jab, straight, straight all connecting with frameshots at that time. Cartoons play like that.

Also remember if you are getting counterclockwise images and you strike, you have to mirror the image in its opposite direction of movement at the same speed and target that image. If you decide you are going to hit the target at 9 o clock in position you will be tracking 12,11,10 in apparent motion. You need to track it out 12=6,11=7, 10=8, 9=9 in the opposite direction which it is actually moving. It will be in exactly the same space when it lines up but the actual speed will be incredibly faster and from the opposite perceived direction of apparent motion.

There’s nothing quite like an 8 round boxing match in an empty arena. Tyson and Jones entertained in this thrilling exhibition. They called it a draw but Tyson will always be in a class all his own.
I’m not sure why anyone would pay for it when you can see the entire fight for free within hours of the event but whatever.

i question why anyone would look at 2 elderly persons fighting even if they pay you?

sounds like visual mental torture to me

And yet, the world has been at war since the first act in time.

well then let’s give up and sit around watching each other shit

Is that the message?

You can watch it free live if you google for 2 minutes.

I agree with Nico, which is not unheard of but isn’t common. I loved Tyson at his peak. This was a “help Mike avoid another bankruptcy” freak show.

i will fight you with my padded gloves