Beating children

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Were you spared the rod?

Christ no.

Do you find it to have been helpful in your life?

The only way I could really know is if I could go back and try youth over again without that experience, and then compare the two. My guess is no, it wasn’t helpful at all. My mother wasn’t smart. I realized by about age 10 that I was brighter than she was and her ideas of justice were rooted in her emotions. That said, I wasn’t abused or anything. I was hit a few times when I shouldn’t have been, but that happened more in school than at home. No complaints.

Sometimes the parents have a sense that they themselves have died inside or stopped working thus they beat the child like a drum to hopefully beat life back into the family reserve of it.

There is also a sense of physical smoking or suffocation or simply no breathing that they do it like winding up a clock on cue.

It may even seem to a parent that beating a child is the proper way to care for it, as if it were a talking doll or one that makes sounds by shaking or beating action.

It is terrible for children who are not fake.

But what almost always warrants a beating in the minds of those settled on it is the child behaving like a child but with what is perceived as an adult characteristic…or something equivalent or surpassing of an adult.

With that said, I don’t have any children nor have ever beaten a child for discipline as an adult.

Adults who talk like children are usually trying to get on the same level as the child they are speaking to. But that’s good, Mark. Spoken like a parent truly inexperienced with children.

Cutting ties is sometimes necessary.

1 Like

I think it’s time for you to cut ties with BBAD

Why are you saying that, Will?

You heard him, Mark. Leave!

Why don’t you say what you really mean.

I think I usually do

No, it’s not always clear. Much of the time it’s a guessing game.

If you’re unclear you can ask.

What have I done that makes you say, were wait to see?

Because I vented this morning?

I asked and as always we see what I was met with.