Woodworking

ah nice, thanks for sharing i really enjoy those kind of documentaries
skills that have been part of humans for so many years, would be a real loss if nobody would do it that way anymore

so many interesting machines and so much work for a perfect waterbowl for cows lol and he made it look that easy… that place should become a museum

Here’s another one for ya -

Yes, a watertub in ONE day, lol. By the way if you search Bens Mill You’ll find it is a museum of sorts now. Sadly Ben was killed by a car while walking the road. Probably fetching some piece of iron to rework.

https://www.bensmill.com/

1 Like

Nice that some people are keeping it going after he died.

1 Like

aww ok
would be great if they manage to complete their mission: “To preserve and restore Ben’s Mill for all visitors, serving as an institution for education, interpretation and a museum of living history”

I would also like to make chess boards. I don’t have a table saw but it seems like a prerequisite to cut straight 21 inches through solid wood.

I’ve only used a circular saw for really thin woods. I’m going to guess it wouldn’t work nearly as well on oak or mahogany. I don’t have a table saw right now. The prices are not outrageous surprisingly.

I’ve been eyeing these common-use woodworking shops. You can buy access to them for a membership fee and then you can use their facility. That would be perfect for me as I would never want to do so much woodworking that it would justify maintaining a shop.

1 Like

My grandfather made this for my dad in 1953. He got quite a bit of use out of it. 12 years later my dad joined the air force, met his wife and never lived at home again. His parents downsized. Yesterday his cousin said she was going to auction off her parents furniture, unless the family wanted it. My dad randomly described the nautical bookcase. I guess his parents gave it to his aunt because she was younger and so were her kids. So my dad got this piece back, 67 years after he was gifted it and 55 years after he had last seen it. He didn’t have it for so long and 24 hours after talking to his cousin, he has it. With help from modern technology. Cell phones. SUVs.

1 Like

Great story.

It’s amazing what people could do back then. I think they had more time, somewhat. I would have liked to see him make it.

very nice story indeed
modern technology used to preserve something made with old craftmanship
bet your dad was very happy;)

1 Like

nice well made piece.

1 Like

Amazing. It almost looks like the hand of God on the world.

Interesting look at the path of a short circuit. He stops just before it shorts.

Working barefoot in the shop?

very pretty

your comment amuses me since this was first done by an atheist

I don’t care about the person who did it. He obviously doesn’t recognize God in his own work. Besides, the video is not about a person but their work and the work is stunning.

either that or you dont recognise what a human can do without a god
yes very pretty especially if you acknowledge who did the work

Or you don’t recognize what a human can do through God.

I do. It’s man’s work, inspired by God.