Philosophy

I’ve been binge watching this woman on Youtube for a few days. She is beyond brilliant.

If we don’t have free will, why do we still experience judgment and punishment?

We don’t. That said, my instincts tell me free will exists. This could because I’m not as smart as she is, but that doesn’t change what my instincts are telling me.

1 Like

Do you think it is possible to be good at these 5 areas? I mean, all of them.

Be a good mate
Be a good friend
Be healthy
Be a good worker
Have a hobby you are good at it and actually do.

I think it’s possible to be pretty good at all those. I’d say I’m pretty good at 4. I’m an average friend.

I don’t think there is enough time to be good at all 5.

Should probably throw be a good parent in there.

Depends if good mate requires lots of sex. That gets more difficult as you age. lol.

Friend is a difficult one. Someone can be interesting at parties but wouldn’t help you if you got thrown in jail. A friend of mine is dying of cancer and all I do is text him every few days. He doesn’t want to meet. He is sick and just wants to be alone. He has money. He needs nothing. I don’t know what else I can do. I’m not going to force my company on him.

Healthy? I feel good and can walk 10k and swim 50 laps of an olympic pool but I have diabetes and hypertension and should lose 5 kilos. Ask 10 people if I’m healthy and you’ll get 5 different answers.

I am good at what I do but I don’t work overly hard.

I have a hobby (ham radio) that I love and am good at and do every day. I have other hobbies that I am less good at and do when the weather is good (cycling, kayaking, sailing) and some hobbies that I never do anymore (in-person chess, motorcycling).

I have no interest in being a parent and would be horrible at it. Robots should raise children. They would be better at it than we are.

you make me wish i couldn’t read

It sounds like you are 5/5 Reg.

i got 2.95/5
i am not that good at math
i referenced neil postman in my application of statistics to human beings

in summary-

1. did woodrow wilson keep us out of war?
  2. is a new virus dangerous?
  3. did terrorists knock down the world trade center?
  4. were kidnapped children held at well-run boarding schools?
  5. has reg ever read a physics textbook?
    try to get 5/5

i’d like to amend that to include stephen jay gould

ooooh, sorry, time’s up
you got 0/5
we’ve got some lovely parting gifts
thanks for playing
zero for five
what a maroon