Knives

I am into knives but I have never mastered sharpening. This guy is brilliant.

I just saw this and it just speaks to me. I love the look of this knife, and I’m generally not a Benchmade fan. I’m usually into titanium framelock flippers these days and this is none of those things but whatever, I like it.

So, I have come to the conclusion that this knife is illegal in Canada as it ships because it can do a gravity open if flicked strongly. To make it legal, I’d need to tighten the screw that controls the flicking action until it required using the thumb stud to open. That might not be a deal breaker for me, but it’s an interesting little point.

So just tighten the screw.

Yes, although flippers are legal in Canada, and a good flipper would open much more easily than this thing with the screw tightened. Really Canada’s knife laws are stupid.

Here’s a beautiful Chinese-made titanium framelock flipper that’s totally legal in Canada for the same price as the Benchmade.

Some guy is selling these on FB for $135 USD for the set. They’re damasteel. I’m trying to figure out why they’re not $1000.

Usually you get what you pay for.

Some great deals on there. I’ve made some money on there but I’m a better buyer than seller. I don’t negotiate when buying. I either like it and give them full price or say no thank you. I need to work on saying price firm when selling. I never lower the price.

Are they in Colombia? When are you going to Canada? Does your wife speak Canadian? Or English?

I’m headed to Canada soon but I don’t have an exact date. I’m hoping to get my skin graft in Colombia and head back healed but if they’re not going to do the skin graft because my HBA1C is too high, I’m just going to go anyway and switch over to Canadian health care. Everyone is fat there so maybe a high HBA1C isn’t so big a deal there.

I joined some FB groups about knives and will seek the opinion of smart people before buying. These knives look like they’re in Romania. I am actually in need of kitchen knives so maybe this will be ok.

Made from drilling line. Dusty received this from someone in the oilfield who makes them.

1 Like

So, I went for a walk (in the conjunto, of course – curfew is still in effect) and reflected on the philosophy of pocket knife ownership.

Here is an Enrique Peña custom. It is gorgeous. Hand made. I’ve looked up videos from knife nerds. The opening action is silky smooth and can easily be done one-handed. It’s the kind of opening action you would do over and over just to experience the joy of something so perfect. $1100 or so.

Here is a Leatherman K4 Free. It isn’t gorgeous. It is mass produced. The opening action is horrible.
You could probably train yourself to do it one-handed, but you wouldn’t enjoy it. It has a pair of scissors and a couple of screwdrivers that I would find extremely useful. $90

If I owned both, I would clearly find the Leatherman more useful. If I had to actually cut something, I would much prefer the Leatherman because cutting things can scratch knives and I wouldn’t want to scratch up the perfect Peña. I would also value having the scissors and screwdrivers available on the Leatherman.

Despite all this, it’s not totally clear to me that the obviously superior usefulness of the Leatherman outweighs the perfection of the Peña. Wearing nice clothes isn’t as practical as wearing jeans and t-shirts, but I do it anyway most of the time. I don’t go crazy. I don’t wear $20,000 suits. I try to look well dressed, though. I also wear nice watches even though my phone keeps much better time than any of them. Even within the genre of nice watches, I prefer automatics over quartz even though quartz keeps much better time. Automatics are just cool, though, and I like them, as do most watch guys.

Carrying an exquisite knife and occasionally flipping it open just to experience that silky smooth action would bring me joy that I can’t explain. I need to sort out my thoughts on this.

2 Likes

There is value in perfection, in beauty, in fine workmanship. There is joy in owning such an object even if you do nothing more than open and close it. It is a valid reason to own it.

1 Like

I don’t own a swiss army. The screwdriver would come in handy. A little one on my keychain would be handy. Of course, I like the $1100 one more. That happens to me with everything. I saw an elliptical that looked nice. It was $2000, which was about $1800 more than I would pay for one lol. Marketplace is tough now. Great deals but I’m not crazy enough to do it now.

I own a Schrade pocket knife that I’ve had for years. Single blade. Handy.

I am thinking of owning two types of knives. One beautiful knife that I can play with and carry, and a few Leathermans I can throw in the backpack and man-purse for actual use. I already own a few Leathermans although I like that K4 because it’s smaller than any of mine and looks/feels like a knife. I will probably buy one of those as soon as I get back to Canada. The Peña, that will depend on what the economy looks like. If we’re going into a depression, buying expensive toys will be off my agenda for the foreseeable future.

I have a set of rubber tantos. Maybe we can wear all white and run a crayon or lipstick over the edge if we ever meet up to play. I don’t carry a knife.

With turtlenecks so there are no contentions.

I’ve always wanted to buy some plastic knives. I never have, though. Cold Steel is the market leader in plastic knives. I have a Cold Steel Ti-Lite back in Canada. It’s too big to carry regularly, though.