IPv6

I just posted this on FB in an IPv6 group. I thought you might be interested.

Five years ago, I spun up a Digital Ocean server and configured it to block all IPv4 on ports 80 and 443. Back then I wrote right here in this group, “I am STUNNED at how bad the V6 situation is. Huge sites like Bing and Amazon and eBay aren’t responding on V6 at all. Facebook, Instagram, Flickr and Google are all playing nicely, though. Still, if I do a Google search for anything, almost none of the results work on V6.”.

Tonight, I did it again. I spun up another Digital Ocean server. This time I was able to connect from home over IPv6 so I just deleted the IPv4 interfaces entirely. See my ifconfig below. There’s no IPv4 at all on this box. I installed xrdp, Ubuntu Desktop and Chrome and spent a few hours surfing the IPv6 internet.

First, I’ll note that Firefox wouldn’t even install. It informed me that it couldn’t connect to something called the Snap store and was bailing. My guess is the Snap store is IPv4 only but I didn’t care enough to check. Chrome installed without complaint and all my Ubuntu updates were also uneventful.

Overall, the situation is still disappointing but it has improved and there were some particularly bright spots. Bing and Amazon now work fine on IPv6. They didn’t work at all five years ago. Facebook, Instagram, and most Google products still work fine, although Youtube was as slow as molasses. Google Sites (their web hosting service) works fine, as do Gmail and Google Workspaces. The Dropbox website works, but I didn’t check if the Dropbox app works on V6-only.

Microsoft is dead on IPv6 to my utter amazement. Twitter is dead. TikTok is dead. Ebay is still dead. DuckDuckGo is dead to my considerable irritation. AWS management interfaces are all dead and I make my living on code deployed mostly on AWS servers. Even my coding environment (AWS Cloud9) is dead on IPv6. Digital Ocean works. OVH is dead. Baidu is dead. Chat GPT is dead. Flickr (where I keep my photos) is dead. The Mayo Clinic is dead. AirBnB is dead. The New York Times is dead. CNN works. Fox News doesn’t. The CBC is dead which matters only to those of us in Canada. And so on.

Google searches and the entire surfing experience are both hopeless. Even Google’s own ads don’t work because they all go through Google Ad Services which itself doesn’t work on IPv6, so the top few links on every Google search (the ads) all fail, even if the sites they link to work on IPv6. Overall, the entire web surfing experience is torture. It’s an endless exercise in seeing an interesting link, clicking it, and finding that the target site doesn’t support IPv6.

Very importantly, both Google Remote Desktop and Microsoft Remote desktop seem to work fine on IPv6 with no issues encountered using either. Particularly nicely, Google Remote Desktop (formerly Chrome Remote Desktop) allowed me to connect to IPv4-only computers which was a bonus. This is, of course, because of its central-server architecture which relays information vs. Microsoft’s point-to-point architecture. Google’s architecture also lets it bypass firewalls as all connections are outgoing over 443, but that’s a bit off topic.

Anyway, I thought I’d share my findings. While there were some bright spots and some significant improvements from five years ago, there is still no way I could live my life on IPv6 alone, at least not as comfortably as I currently live it. This won’t stop me from making all of my code and deployments IPv6 compatible. I’m just acutely aware that there’s still a long, long way to go, and progress has been much slower than I expected.

1 Like

Some of the country listings are interesting for IPv6 adoption.

France: 74%

India: 68%

Germany: 67%

Greece: 62%

Saudi Arabia: 60%

Uruguay: 53%

USA: 49%

Canada: 35%

Russia: 7%

China: 3%

I have personally been on IPv6 for several years, although in dual-stack mode so I have full access to the IPv4 internet. My computers always default to IPv6 first if it’s available. No issues.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption

BBAD is not yet IPv6 compatible to my embarrassment. That’s a domain registration issue only. I need to move the DNS from Tucows to make that happen. I have that in my to-do list.

I’m going to move BBAD DNS to Cloudflare. I don’t think this will result in any downtime but I’m not sure so I’ll schedule it. Let’s say tomorrow night sometime, likely after 8 pm PST. This should result in us being IPv6 compatible immediately but I’ll only announce that after I test.

I was impatient and did it. DNS is working fine and there are AAAA records for IPv6 on everything. Fediverse (which nobody, including me, ever goes to) works fine on IPv6. I hosted it on Digital Ocean and they’re great. BBAD.com and chat.bbad.com are hosted on OVH and neither of them work on IPv6 yet. I have a support ticket in. BBAD on IPv4 is working fine.

Ok, so it seems I have to manually add their new IPv6 configuration to the BBAD servers. I’m ok with this but it’s one of those things where if I make a mistake the site will be down for a while, so I’m going to schedule this one, too. I’m not sure exactly when, yet.

Bit of a busy time for me with Isa recovering from surgery. I’ll try to post at least 24 hours in advance.

Cloudflare DNS is working fine, unsurprisingly, so we should be IPv6 compatible within a week.

If any of you care if you’re IPv6 capable, I made this two-line site.

https://ipv6test.regnatarajan.com

It only responds on IPv6 so if you see anything, you have IPv6.

lol ok i will test your site… woohoo i passed! :wink:

not surprisingly since i already checked that a while ago via:

A nice site. Very client focused.

For server-side guys, I am actually rewriting Abongo right now to use hyperscalers but it is still a month or two from readiness. It should be amazing, if I do say so myself. lol.

I had allowed it to fall into disrepair when I had all those financial stresses a decade ago, but things are good now and I have time and interest so I’ll make it the best server-side site I can.

Don’t bother looking, yet. The old site is still currently still up. I will link the new site when it’s live.

BBAD, BBAD Chat and BBAD Fediverse are all now fully compatible with and available on IPv6. This post is being done from a computer with no IPv4 capability at all. Pure IPv6. I have also tested BBAD Chat and Fediverse and have found no issues at all so far.

I spent the last two days making the new Abongo fully IPv6 compatible which involved configurations in 21 countries, all of which had to be done manually by Abongo’s sole network employee, namely me. Abongo isn’t yet ready to look at but I will post here when it is.

I also maintain these highly useful and informative sites which also now work on IPv6.

https://worstpmever.com
https://bestpmever.com

My personal homepage at www.regnatarajan.com is now IPv6 compatible, which nobody will ever know as nobody ever goes there.

All my other business sites have been IPv6 compatible for many years.

I am now a perfect IPv6 citizen and am hereby signalling my virtue.

NOTE: I have no plans to abandon IPv4 ever. This is “in addition to”, not “instead of”.

I can see why. I went there. Maybe it was my lackluster imagination but I saw nothing there.

Well, it’s not very interesting I will admit, but “nothing there” is a bit much. Did you scroll down?

I just noticed on BBAD over IPv6, the news feeds don’t all work. The CBC, RT, BBC and PBS all fail on IPv6. DW and Al Jazeera both work. This is entirely out of my control. Just a heads up if you decide to go IPv6 only.