Free Speech

Honestly this one surprised me. I remember when Reagan got shot. I was in junior high school (I think it was grade 8 or so) and the whole class agreed we hoped he died. lol.

Where were you living? I wouldn’t have blamed you for that.

I was in Richmond, BC, a suburb of Vancouver. I was in this school, in the two-story wing on the left, top floor, left-most class. Ms. Bourne’s homeroom class. This was back when calling yourself “Ms” was radical feminism.

I didn’t like Reagan. Those were tough year.

He was a racist. Not much to like.

The thing that’s fascinating about Reagan is the transformation he has undergone since he left office, especially since he died.

When I was young, Reagan was seen as a clown. Ridiculed around the world. He was not seen as intelligent, he was seen as an actor who appeared in ridiculous movies (Bedtime for Bonzo or some such) who ran for office and conned fools into thinking his acting credentials were somehow relevant. He was called names like Ronald Raygun for his absurd Star Wars program (which never saw the light of day) intended to use lasers to shoot down Russian missiles. He told asinine jokes about bombing Russia. He was a jackass in every way.

These days people speak of Reagan in hushed tones, like Lincoln and Washington. I fully expect they’ll speak of Trump the same way. Really, would the US be much worse off if you euthanized all your Republicans?

Edit after thinking of Trump:

Actor => Reality TV Star
Bedtime for Bonzo => Apprentice
Ridiculed => Ridiculed
Star Wars Defense Program => Space Force
Jackass => Jackass

Racist --> Racist

1 Like

Pretty well sums it up. “the amiable dunce”. RWNJ’s go berserk if you dare to criticize him. Worst time in my life financially. Fat cats were happy though.

In 1984, Zimbabwe had a stronger form of currency than USD.

I showed this to Isa. She asked (in Spanish) when the gringos are going to quit pretending they have free speech. She has a point. For all the problems they have in Colombia, they have more free speech than we have ever had in Canada or the US. Say whatever you want about anyone. If you think the President has sex with goats (or should), say it. Nobody cares. If you think Jews control the media and blacks are inferior to whites, say that. Nobody cares. I will never forget my first haircut in Colombia, in a tiny hair salon in the village of Mosquera (here’s a picture I took on that day below – it was like stepping into a time machine and going back 70 years). As the nice lady cut my hair, some guy came in and asked where I was from. “Canada”. “Canada! I lived in Montreal for a year. I loved it except it was full of Jews. I hated them. Hitler was right.” Nobody cared. In Canada someone would’ve called the police.

I honestly don’t know if it’s even a good thing to have that much free speech. They have it, though, and they seem to be doing fine. If someone here wishes their president would die, they say so. Nobody cares.

Isn’t it ironic? You consistently wish death on others but you run a website where words are pertinent to the survival of the site. A place where words should have the most value but you hold the lowest regard for them and their power over our lives.

That’s a funny story.

Also, I had no idea there were a lot of Jews in Canada.

A few days ago, some Muslim lunatic beheaded a French teacher for showing a depiction of the prophet Mohammed. Today, various mayors in France are being threatened with beheading for speaking out against that violent act.

Free speech, Nico? It’s ok to threaten people with beheading, right? We should just mock the people who made the threats and there should be no other consequences, correct?

Lunatic! Not really much punch to it and a little disappointing considering how many words you have in your vocabulary.

You must be crushed. We all know how sappy you are not about tragic events.

No way! Really? That’s dirty. Those mayor’s should be fired for even thinking.

I’m not Nico but I’ll chime in and give it my best guess.

If it’s okay to behead someone, it’s okay to threaten them. Right? Right! High 5! Right here! :raised_hand:

Damn straight! Mock them all and if they do it again you just go pull up your granny panties and and turn off their mic.

Michele, I’m going to do you the favour of assuming you were drunk when you typed that incoherent nonsense.

I WILL FISTICUFF YOU WITH MY FISTS.
BETTER FISTS THAN ANYONE HAS EVER FISTED
WITH SIX OR SEVEN FINGERS
and a thumb that indicates my penis is bigger than yours
BIGGEST IN THE HISTORY OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY
whatever happened to that guy?

He didn’t wear a mask and got covid.

he made us feel warm and fuzzy-headed
nothing unusual there
i also care about the queen of england
like a zillion other voters

like a pothead with no rolling papers, she is disjointed