Falling oil prices—followed by rising gas prices

Last month’s historic freeze in Texas, the nation’s largest natural gas producer, set production back bigtime.

Many Americans are still working from home without lengthy commutes, but a slew of cross-country road trips could help send gas prices even higher. Analysts think average prices could soon rise above $3.

One group that’s not complaining: oil and gas companies. Energy is the best-performing S&P sector so far this year.

This was from Morning Brew.

I think it’s interesting that gas prices are going up along with everything else but people are working from home now more than ever. I’m not complaining. It hurts consumers in America but there’s lots of work.

I can easily believe Russia would sabotage a pipeline. I just hope it doesn’t cause an explosion that could potentially kill innocent people but nothing will surprise me.

I can’t. Nobody destroys their own stuff, generally. I know there are sometimes reasons for false flag operations but in this case, Russia just had nothing at all to win. This is going to be a cold winter for Germany and much of the rest of Europe, and there was some chance of significant public pressure to re-open the pipeline (and therefore reopen ties with Russia). Now that’s off the table. Russia’s leverage on the west is reduced. The only winners here are the Ukrainians.

Last month, Ukraine was a land grab that couldn’t possibly win the war.

The Ukraine war is a land grab by Russia.

The Ukrainians are not saints. They were generally regarded as the most racist people in Europe prior to the war. They were sanctioned by FIFA multiple times for doing monkey chants at visiting black soccer players. The Azov Battalion started life as a neo-Nazi group and continues to have racist and nationalist overtones. The current portrayal of Ukrainians in the press as a saintly and innocent aggrieved people is a lot of nonsense.

Despite the Ukrainians being among the most dislikeable people I have seen, I still hope they win the war and support giving them money and arms to that end. The alternative is to let Putin grab whatever land he wants without consequences and I see no reason to believe he would stop at the Moldovan border.

The Nordstream pipelines were sabotaged. The Russians had no reason to sabotage their own pipelines and property. The Ukrainians had every reason to do so. The Americans (Biden specifically) came right out and said he would destroy them in February. The current media narrative that the Russians probably destroyed their own pipelines is unconvincing and even ridiculous.

That’s how I see it.

As much as I read about that attack yet, I believe it was a russian false flag sabotage. The North Stream 2 pipeline isn’t severly damaged and can be still used. Such a sabotage by the USA would be too obvious. The USA is as imperial as Russia and China, but in this case they are on the right side.

As much as I despise Trump, we need to give him his due here.

Germany is totally controlled by Russia and even wayyyy more so by the USA. The older I get and the more I watch both countries as well as Chinas acting, the lesser I judge Hitlers main reasoning behind WWII.

But one more thing about the pipelines sabotage: If the US really would have done it (and I am convinced they aren’t), then this would be so stupid, given the huge mistrust in many European countries against the US. This could easily backfire and the support for sanctions against Russia would vaporate in a second. While the sabotage just helped the russians raising the pressure on whole Europe. No, to me Russia only has to gain something with those leaks.

And regarding you mentioning racism. Racism prevails in every nation on this world, be it in predominantly white, black/brown, yellow or red nations. This isn’t only a white nations problem and also has zero to do with this war and therefore it’s stupid if not even based on racism in it’s core as well, to raise this issue in this context. And misogynist too, as you don’t even mention how much women face discrimination and violence but only focus on racism, if you already bring racism up in this war, which is only led because of stealing land and political power. Neither racism nor misogynism has a place in the argumentations regarding this war. Except when it comes to that rape once again is also used as a weapon.

How stupid do you think I really am? The only thing you support is watching Americans work night and day to pay the billions of dollars in tax required to fund the death of white Ukrainians every day.

Surely they do.

It is completely obvious, to me. Both the United States and Russia stand to benefit from it and the United States was previously conducting drone and explosives tests in that area. Germany needs to pick a side and get on it.

It seems like michele and thinki are rooting for russia and reg and gunda are rooting for ukraine. I wonder if karjakin will be permanently banned. He didn’t even cheat, lol. It is very easy to root against him, though.

Don’t be silly, Gunda. I didn’t just randomly bring up racism, and racism has everything to do with this war. The entire Russian rationale behind this war is that Ukraine was full of racists and Nazis and they had to “denazify” it. And obviously non-white nations are often racist. No nations are more racist than China and Japan, for instance. Try to keep up.

Michele, this war is white on all sides. The Ukrainians are white, the Russians are white, the Europeans are white, and even most of the Americans involved are white. This whole thing is white people killing each other for land and glory, which is hardly a new concept in the world.

I’m for Ukraine while holding my nose. Nico posted some pro-sanctions stuff a few months ago but I have no idea where he’s at right now. Michele has stated clearly she’s pro-Russia. Gunda is obviously pro-Ukraine. You haven’t said much recently about it, Dan. Where are you on this?

I hate this aspect of modern life. “Disagree with our narrative and you will be destroyed.”

They are all losing and I don’t really like any of them, but I’d have to side with ukraine. I give them credit for holding their own. If Nova Scotia tried to take over New England violently I doubt I’d leave either. These invasions don’t seem to work well. Russia has looked like total morons, thinking this was going to take 2 hours.

I think thinki is rooting for russia, just so the war ends which I understand.

I do find those siding with russia because their gas prices have gone up to have low moral character.

1 Like

iam on the side of non-violence and peace

1 Like

True

You are right.

It truly does stink, doesn’t it.

How morally upright of you.

I support everyone who has had to pay for this bloodbath, especially Americans.

It is the only Way. Thankx you for posting this truth.

1 Like

I’m surprised you are supporting Americans paying for it, if you are rooting for :ru:.

I’m surprised a well read person like you misread my post.

Gas is still going down here. Weird. Nice to see we have 1 thing cheaper lol.

1 Like

As if Russia would start a war because of racism, lol. They are racist themselves and they wouldn’t even care if the whole Ukraine would identify as white supremacists. Putin identifies as a Slav, so do most (white) Russians as well as most (white) Ukrainians. It‘s all about political power and geostrategic interests. Zero about racism. Only a brown guy with an inferiority complex like you would come up with such a stupid claim.

While that is true, it doesn’t change the fact that their stated reason for invading Ukraine was to “denazify” it. I agree that’s a lie, but it’s their stated reason.

Well, brown men with inferiority complexes and perhaps a few others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/17/world/europe/ukraine-putin-nazis.html