Church Day For The SDA Today

I am off to the SDA church later this morning here in Hope though not a member they live years longer than the avg person. They have to share their pastor with the much larger Chilliwack church of SDA. Founded in America in 1800’s by a woman 92% of its 22 million adherents live outside America. I liked when I saw the elder give a loaf of bread to a homeless person across the street but a month later the homeless tent now has stuff including a lamp and stereo among other garbage spread around and while before the church which is at the top of the hill on Ryder St the grounds were clean last week there was a crack pipe by the wall and cigarette butts and a ice cream wrapper the elder says they are going to add a security fence and some of the parishioners for the first time were lamenting the homeless causing a problem for the church.

That’s so awful but your post is not unique to many articles I’ve read over the last several years so besides sharing, which is all anyone can do, I doubt you can do anything to fix that. This seems to be a common theme all around North America. You would think the church, who prides themselves on being spirit-filled humanitarians, would build a bridge instead of a fence but I kind of get where they are coming from. Their trash would become the churches trash. Ironically, the trash is on the sidewalk so technically it’s already theirs to deal with anyway. I think it’s easier to build a fence than it is to contribute to another persons needs. When Katrina hit and our church was contemplating how to contribute, I suggested setting a family up in the spare room of the church but that was frowned upon and eventually dismissed. Looking back, they were probably right. We made a monetary donation. That seemed to be the easiest way to address the issue without placing a heavy burden on the church for an extended amount of time.

Glad your church donated to help the Katrina victims that was a very bad disaster the Superdome cluster and all. I am thrilled my sibling is allowing 3 Ukrainian refugees to stay at his place. The SDA church does billions in charity each year. Great to read your post this morning and have a nice day. You going to watch the hockey game tonight.

I didn’t watch it. I don’t enjoy hockey. The players wear so much protective clothing you can’t see the puck and as soon as one of those players raise their stick and use it for a weapon I’d be going off the rails in a fit of rage. There is no good reason for that kind of behavior so I would rather watch girls compete in ice skating competitions. Someone once told me they didn’t like to watch that type of competitions because they don’t like to watch players fall lol but I thought that was funny and even a ridiculous thought process since players fall down in all sports. I suppose it’s fine to watch people fall if you’re not being scored for it but a well trained and disciplined skater or gymnast, the kind that enter into the Olympics, doesn’t fall, ever and even if they did their training would be at such a level that they would recover gracefully to minimize point loss. I suppose it’s a personal viewpoint that I probably don’t share with anyone here.

Thank you. I hope you do as well.

That isn’t a frequent occurrence, Michele.

I didn’t say it was but I’m certain it has happened and probably more times than you can count. You can’t give a player a prop, tell him to go out and get that puck in the net and expect him to use it properly if he sees his competition coming to take the points.

Fine. Dislike hockey all you want. I don’t love the game but I follow Team Canada every few years when they play. I sometimes follow the juniors, although ours lost badly this year.

1 Timothy 2:12, NIV

I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

There is a fine line between teaching and sharing the Gospel. I’m sure you will find it.

Just sharing the gospel? From ChatGPT:

Ellen G. White played a crucial role in the founding and development of the Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) Church. Here are some key aspects of her contributions:

1. Co-founder

• Ellen White was one of the principal founders of the SDA Church. Her visions and writings significantly shaped the church’s beliefs and practices.

2. Prophetess

• White is considered a prophetess by the SDA Church. Her numerous visions and spiritual insights are regarded as divine guidance for the church.

3. Prolific Writer

• She authored more than 40 books and numerous articles. Her writings cover theology, health, education, and practical Christian living. Some of her most influential works include “The Great Controversy,” “Steps to Christ,” and “The Desire of Ages.”

4. Health Reform Advocate

• White was a strong advocate for health reform. Her counsel on diet, exercise, and lifestyle has had a lasting impact on the SDA Church, leading to the establishment of health institutions and the promotion of a vegetarian diet.

5. Educational Reformer

• She emphasized the importance of Christian education, which led to the establishment of numerous schools and universities affiliated with the SDA Church.

6. Organizational Influence

• Ellen White’s guidance was instrumental in the organizational development of the SDA Church. She provided counsel on church governance, structure, and mission work, helping to shape the global church.

Ellen G. White’s influence is deeply embedded in the doctrine, lifestyle, and global mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Sounds like that is her life’s work but I didn’t read where she was teaching in the Church. Is she a pastor?

1 Timothy 2:12 says nothing about “in the church”. Here are the surrounding verses in case you think I’m quoting out of context. I am not. There is no mention of “in the church”, and Ellen G. White certainly taught men in her 40 books, her heath reform advocacy, her creating of church governance, and by being a prophet and founder.

1 Timothy 2:8-15 (NIV):

1. “Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing.”
  2. “I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,”
  3. “but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.”
  4. “A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.”
  5. “I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.”
  6. “For Adam was formed first, then Eve.”
  7. “And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.”
  8. “But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.”

He told them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the Good News to every creature. He who believes and is immersed shall be saved, but he who does not believe shall be condemned. - Mark 16:15-16 TLV

Did God mean for only men to share the Truth? If that be true, it would certainly explain why we have so much immorality in America.

Proclaiming the Gospel is not forbidden to anyone, Michele. Teaching men and assuming authority over men is forbidden to women, according to the Bible.

Once a person becomes a Christian the priest is supposed to be a man. Some Christian sects if a woman is teaching she wears a shawl. The catholic and JW and oddly the SDA’s forbid women priests. Lydia the seller of purple in the Bible instructed those who had been teaching the gospel of John The Baptist about the new teaching of JESUS after HE died.

The head pastor is going for 4 weeks to South Sudan that place was in the news a lot when the Darfur region was in turmoil a few years back . One of the retired pastors has a son and his family in Beirut. Prayers for their safety. Fell briefly asleep twice during the 2 hour time at the church on the hill so will try to nap.

1 Like

I often nap at church. Church would be much nicer if they wouldn’t do services.

Services would be nicer if you would not nap.

I totally disagree. I have also fallen asleep on transit and dangerously briefly twice while driving. They are having a pancake breakfast today might go to it but think sleeping in bed would be better. They had a prayer meeting at a private home on Thursday but I decided to watch the playoff NHL game last night. Glad the Oilers smoked Florida 8-1 the excellent Florida goalie who had not allowed more than 2 goals totally blew it in this game the Oilers even scored a short handed goal. Turns out one of the old SDA’s his family owns the building the Field’s store in Hope and Merritt are located he was a Rotarian for 50 years and a street in town has his name on it. I needed a new wallet so Googled the store hours and a news story from 2012 also popped out it mentioned how the economy of the town was bad just like a 2018 news story mentioned. You see empty buildings in town including the largest building in town the old Hope Hotel where only the beer store is still open. I suspect money laundering is propping some businesses up by the loud support for the Hell’s Angels at businesses like Sharon’s Deli and Silver Chalice Pub by store employees over and over. Quiet support for H.A. at places like Owl Cafe and Owl Laundry and Washtub Laundry by store employees and owners.

1 Like

Arrived to the pancake breakfast an hour late food was good. Planning to go to a prayer meeting at a Pastor’s home tonight . The Catholic Church St.Pauls is getting grief for how they handled a 34 yr olds dying request for MAID I slag the rcc for their crimes and sins but they built St. Paul’s all they ask is you don’t do the MAID thing there or an abortion seems reasonable to me Global News kept saying it was tax payer funded but did not mention the Catholics built it and owned it. The new St. Paul’s Hospital will cost 1.2 billion dollars. Most ppl with AIDS are gay but St. Paul’s is a leader in AIDS care they have a whole ward.