Norway

Norway is doing cool things. It helps that they are oil rich.

i think there were already white people there when the british discovered norway

I thought Dan was going to post trip photos.

Not until this weekend. Or at least that is when I’ll organize them.

1 Like

That’s the biggest issue with photos: organizing them.

1 Like

It has been a month since I flew to Norway. I was going to make a video, which I thought would be easier, but I’ll do a little at a time. I worked Monday, June 19th until 230 PM. People seem surprised I was working, but it was a good idea as I was able to sleep on the plane. The flight left Boston, I believe around 7 PM. Some moron was smoking in the bathroom on the plane. At 3 AM, although I was so out of it I don’t know where it was at 3 AM, all the lights came on and the flight attendant said if someone is caught vaping or smoking, they will be prosecuted in Amsterdam when we land. I was able to fall back to sleep. We landed in Amsterdam around 730 AM, their time. We had no check bag, just carryons since we were going to be taking trains, buses and boats. There were a LOT of people in passport ctl in Amsterdam. We were able to cut to the front based on the fact that our next flight was 9 AM to Oslo. I ate mushroom ravioli on the first plane (Delta) and a dutch sandwich with a cheese, egg spread on the 2nd flight which was about 2 hours. The sandwich sounds awful, but the bread was good and I was hungry.

We made it to Oslo and took the subway to Oslo Central from the airport. Surprisingly empty. It was around 11 AM, so maybe everyone was already at work. I didn’t find any stations to be crowded. Onto the next post for picture…

1 Like

At this point, the sleep was not great. I never really sleep on planes. Just kind of zone out.

Our hotel had a chess board. I had to set it. Bottom right was a black square of course. Considering, how long Magnus’ hair has been of late, I did not see him in Oslo.

It was not a pretty city, but it wasn’t ugly. Those in Norway, outside of Oslo found it to be a concrete jungle.

1 Like

oslo1

Measuring wine in centiliters reminded me of working in the lab. I found the food to be average on the trip. Not as good as New England, but better than Florida.

View from breakfast.

This was the best breakfast I ate. A little heavy on the preserves there.

1 Like

After breakfast we took a train to Myrdal. There was really nothing in Myrdal. Besides beauty. It was the most comfortable train I have ever been on. This was the only public transit where we picked our actual seats.

1 Like

A few more Myrdal pics.

1 Like

We then took a train from Myrdal to Flam. This was about an hour. Stegastein was quite a mountain to drive up. That was one of the best parts of Flam.

1 Like

If you can get to Flam somehow and not have to sleep over or eat, that is best. There was a very good bakery. There was also only 1 hotel, so it was $400 USD/night and the buffet was $75 USD, which was the worst food on the whole trip. Stegastein was probably worth it as well as the fjord cruise that followed from Flam.

I saw robotic lawnmowers everywhere. They were quiet. This was in Flam.

This is probably it for now, unless I can’t sleep. I’m up at 328 AM tomorrow. I have the dentist at 2 Pm tomorrow and working Friday and the flying to Florida for the weekend to see nephew born on July 5th. I would rather post pictures than visit Florida in July. If it wasn’t for family, I have zero desire to ever go to Florida again.

1 Like

Next up was the fjord cruise from Flam to Gudvangen. This was probably my favorite part of the trip. It was only 2 hours, lol. 930 AM to 1130 AM.

1 Like

From Gudvangen we took a bus to Voss. I did get a nice picture near Voss before we boarded our last train to get to Bergen, which is a port city with about 300,000 people.

This is now Friday, so we are already 4 days into the trip and only have until the following Wednesday. Once we hit Bergen, we are done with trains and buses.

1 Like

ah beautiful fjords, thx for sharing

Looks beautiful. I’m interested that you didn’t find Oslo beautiful. The city picture you posted looks nice. The fjords are as beautiful as I expected.

Dan, overall, would you rate it as a good trip or average or a disappointment?

1 Like

I noticed you and your beautiful wife were wearing hoodies. Was it cold?
Great photos, Dan. You really captured the stunning landscape.

1 Like

Dan, can I use this as a POM?

1 Like

Of course. Yes.

It was a great vacation. Top 3. Flights were very pricy. Oslo was prettier than Boston, but that doesn’t say much. It was not ugly to me, but was the worst looking out of Oslo, Flam, Bergen and Kristiansand.

I’ll finish the photos next week.