Huxley's "brave new world" character "Mustapha Mond"

In Huxley’s book there is this character “world controler Mustapha Mond” who has a history of being an intelligent person dangerous for the system who when threated by the system could decide whether to either

• pursue his interests but being relocated on an uncivilized Island
  • or becoming a world controller for the system, a convenient (he still can have all the books) and pompous (satisfying if one believed in the system) occupation

At the end of the book, there is this conversation between

• Mustapha Mond
  • the “sevage” from an island-like reservate
  • Bernhard and Helmholtz, the two unsatisfied civilized

Why didn’t Mond chose the uncivilized island, but being a leader of the SJW gender-commie-world, a leader? The story doesn’t tell much about his decision.

Mustapha Mond knows of all the stupidity and senselessness of the system’s well organized, yet totally devoid of natural creation and god’s will.
Proof:
“If it was new (of the system), it couldn’t possibly be like Othello”
“we have stability”
“idiotic - writing when there is nothing to say - precisely”

He has all the necessary books to obtain infomation about the ancient way of life and about god’s will and the society he lives in doesn’t even seem too attractive to him.

Mond even says:

"[relocation to an island] is really a reward, he is being sent to an island. That’s to say, he is being sent to a place where he’ll meet the most interesting set of man and women to be found anywhere in the world […] I almost envy you

Mond gives a hint (and I read “religious tribal life and traditional or free life”, everything pre-NWO for science as it fits much better today)

“unrestricted science” - “the nine years war…that made to change their tune” “when science were first begun to be controlled” " we have got on controlling eversince"

We? He identifies nevertheless with the system.

I like your spirit […] indeed, as much as I officially disapprove of it

Though he doesn’t seem to be really convinced by the spirit of the system and his own working position.

even more interesting are Mustapha Mond’s views on god.

“I was forgetting [about god]”
[The holy Bible] that has always had a great interest for me.

The savage: […}why don’t you tell them?

[the books] are about god hundreds of years ago, not about god now.

only a fool would say a thing like this. Everybody knows we are losing our ties to our creator and might lose him and his favor at all! There is no “god of now”, only an eternal god…

he [god] manifests himself as an absense [nowadays]

We got youth and prosperity right to the end […] we can be independent of god. The religious sentiment will compensate us for all our losses, but there aren’t any losses [in this new shallow utopia] to compensate.

He doesn’t really know god besides having read the bible! He misses all the joyful encounters with god entirely!!!

I never read Huxley (or I’ve forgotten, it’s been a long time). I should. I don’t think I will this week. I’m too stressed over being stranded. I might try to read Brave New World this summer though.

1 Like

I still don’t see enough conviction in Mond to occupy his high-demanding leading position in the system.
He puts much weight on “stability of society at all cost” as a value though.

Is he mainly driven by convenience?

Mustapha Mond: " we don’t [like the inconvenciences}, we prefer to do things comfortably."

He does never say “I” as if he already incorporated the system’s spirit too much. Has intelligent Mustapha Mond sucked up their propaganda entirely?! I mean, we all know convenience VS. demanding life. But Mond doesn’t also sound “red pilled” when he talks.

The savage: I want god! […] I am claiming to be unhappy, […ill, old…]

You are welcome

Still not seeing Mond convinced. I wonder whether his concious or god will haunt him at night and wether he makes plans to hit for an island in secret…to the clan/tribe of his own choice

I didn’t like the way it is written, but I had to read it to know better the personality of Mustapha Mond, the only one in the book who had a true choice (Savage John grew up biased on the one side, Helmholtz and Bernard single sided on the other side).

There also is a superb audio-book with “mood-effects” and background ambient sounds by “Steve Parker”.

Saved! Thank you.

1 Like

Community, identity, stability

You will dislike the hospital scene of “Brave new world” then…

Lots of old lit is racist and sadistic. The most racist stuff I ever read was Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan. It was pretty sadistic, too.

1 Like

I saw this and thought of you, Daniel. I’m not sure why since you’re not an anarchist but whatever.