Bicycles & Scooters

For a little more money, I think I’d go with a Niu GT. For me, being able to bring the wife is a big deal. And room to mount a top-box is a big deal. And being able to ride with the cars in the city is a big deal.

1 Like

I will watch the video, but that is a great looking bike.

That e bike is too fast for me lol. It’s probably not fast but 50 mph is too fast for me. I’ve never been on a motorcycle.

So basically, I could never ride one with cars.

Right, this boils down to whether you want to ride with cars. I just don’t know how to get everywhere I want to go without doing that. I ride my bicycle with cars, although I hate it. If I didn’t, I couldn’t really ride anywhere. I mean, I could ride for the sake of riding on bike paths, but I like to actually go places with my bicycle. Ride to run errands or meet friends or go to dinner or go for coffee and so on. And for me, all of those things involve having the girl on the back seat, which also scales up the size needs.

Yes. If you want to actually use it for transportation you probably need to move with cars. It must take forever to just bike in bike lanes. If they are even going to your destination.

Going to bed at 850. Well behind on sleep.

Bon nuit. Buenas noches. Gute Nacht.

So it just occurred to me, if you don’t want to ride with the cars, why not get an electric scooter? Not the ones I posted but one like this.

1 Like

I will watch later. Thank you.

No need to, really. One should know instantly if those little carry-around scooters are appealing to them. Personally, I like the idea of the things but can’t imagine using one. They’re mostly for young people and they have a skateboard vibe to them that I don’t like. I also think people riding them look like tools, although I can’t explain that. I just like the feeling of a bicycle.

I have gone from wanting one of those little scooters to hating them. They ride in the bicycle lanes and interfere with my life. They are far faster than I am and it’s just a giant pain in the ass. Actually, I don’t hate the scooters, I hate the scooter riders. I am so done with the Seawall.

Not keen on these scooters at all. They pose too much risk to others, particularly pedestrians.

I prefer the bicycle experience, pumping those legs (sans the sore bum). You are at least getting a workout.

I prefer the bicycle experience, too, but I can see times when those scooters could be useful. Running a few errands around town, for instance, and not having a bicycle to park/lock (just carry your scooter in with you when you reach your destination). I think if they just rode like sane people, it would be fine but at least here they don’t.

Slowly catching up on forums. What a great picture, Reg. You’re looking happy and healthy and Isa is a beauty :sunflower:

Thanks, Kim. We’re holding up ok. Well, she’s holding up better than I am. lol. She’s a 46 year old biologist/entomologist. She has her masters but never got her PhD, and with covid that’s looking unlikely now. We don’t care. There’s plenty to keep us pleasantly occupied without wasting time studying bugs for 4 more years.

1 Like

Wow, Reg! 46?! She looks amazing, and she has a kind look to her too, she looks like a nice person as well as a beauty with smarts. No wonder you’re beaming! haha Congrats to you both.

1 Like

Our bikes.

I have just purchased this which should let me ditch my mirrors. They’re useless anyway. It arrives on the weekend.

I also bought this which will let me see how slowly I’m going. It arrives Monday.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B098N7PQJP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And finally I bought this which should let me blast pedestrians out of the bike lanes. It arrives Saturday.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0778S7RR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Calgary vs. Amsterdam from a cycling point of view. I’ve lived in Calgary. It’s pretty. Amsterdam is ugly and full of Dutch people but it’s far better for bikes.

Uhhh…Jason is a nut. He should have done the study in somewhere more comparable like France or Bogotá and pitting the Netherlands against Germany. It was still an interesting video.